Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Super Moderator
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

Your flock is adorable. As Cody said, Umi is an English budgie, and her mutation is grey normal (and I believe single factor violet).

Do you have more photos of Umi close up, showing the cere? I'd be happy to confirm her gender for you :) From the photos you've posted so far, I also suspect she's a girl.

Your setup is great! I would suggest replacing some of their perches with those made of natural wood (not dowels) as it's better for their feet, if you haven't done so already :D

Letting them out together under supervision is fine as long as they all continue to get along :)

Meanwhile, you've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices. If you have any questions after reading through things around here, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

Hope to see you around! 馃憢

Super Moderator
Great photos, thanks! I have to say that close up the cere is more blue than it looks despite the paleness round the cere.. You mentioned they were introduced recently, do you know Umi's age?

Super Moderator
If that鈥檚 the case, she may still not have gone into condition yet. I do think she鈥檚 a girl, though I have been wrong and it鈥檚 true that the strong blue around the edges could trip people up. The shape of the cere to me also indicates female; males tend to have a slightly more rounded cere. Over the next few weeks/months, it would be great to see updated photos!

Super Moderator
No worries I will keep them seperate as a precaution until we can all be 100% sure. I will definitely post updates in the future :)
Even considering the small chance she could be male, with three budgies one often gets left out, so it may be best to have them separate anyways with supervised out of cage time. Looking forward to future updates! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts