Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,241 Posts
Beautiful flock, Umi is an English budgie which is why there is a difference in size, Umi also appears to be a female, although the cere is blue it has quite a bit of white mixed in which is usually not seen in males. I love the first picture, the boys seem to be saying "OK Umi you're in charge, we will do whatever you say" :LOL: How old are they and are they caged together? StarlingWings will comment on the muatations a bit later.

· Super Moderator
6,241 Posts
It is generally advisable not to house 2 males with one female due to the fact that there is sometimes aggression over who gets the girl. I would cage her separately, has either male shown any interest in her or have you observed any hostility between any of them? With mixed genders you will also have to watch for unwanted breeding, even if there is no mating if she is hormonally stimulated she may lay infertile eggs. How much time do they spend out of the cage?

· Super Moderator
6,241 Posts
All birds have different personalities so it is hard to say what might happen in various situations and there is never any guarantee that introducing a new bird will work out favorably, Umi might be very happy in her own cage and the boys may form a bond between themselves. I have had various situations with a mixed flock. I had a male and female together for 8 years, they were together from a young age in their own cage but spent out of the cage time with other males and females and no problems, no eggs no aggression no mating, although he was very protective of her, that was ideal. He passed away last year but I still have her and she spends her days with two males, they are out all day but she sleeps at night with one male, everybody happy. I acquired another pair a brother and sister about 4 years ago, that was a whole different experience, she turned out to be a chronic egg layer and eventually had a cloacal prolapse which was surgically repaired but she had to be permanently separated from the boys so she was moved to a different part of the house and I got another female to be company for her. Sometimes you just cannot predict what will happen but with multiple birds and mixed genders you have to be prepared for anything. The brother and sister were supposed to be brothers but surprise, one turned out to be a female. as a young bird her cere looked just like a young male, it was dark pink, so we all thought it would eventually turn blue but instead it started turning tan :eek:
If you were to get another female to house with Umi it may or may not work out and you might end up with 3 cages if it didn't. What is her personality like, is she bossy?

· Super Moderator
6,241 Posts
He may feel insecure, if you put her in a separate cage and he stops that behavior then you will know for sure. It would be great if I am wrong about Umi being a female and the computer was distorting the color of the cere, you do see a very pale almost white area on the cere in person, correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts