Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Professional Lurker
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, im just curious about a few of my fids mutations.
can anyone help me?

This is Beanie

And Beanies babies - Patch(the patchy one), and Junior(the whiter one)

thankyou :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Adorable babies. I'm certainly no expert, but I like to try. Beanie is a dominant pied Greywing Skyblue. I'm very interested in the mutations, but there is so much to learn. Hopefully Nev or Tonic will come along to give the real mutation.

·
Professional Lurker
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for the reply! her wings have more of a brownish tinge to them though :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Beanie is a cinnamon recessive pied sky blue
Patch is a recessive pied but can't see the body colour
Junior could be a cinnamon greywing but I'd need a better photo to give a positive identification

·
Professional Lurker
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks nev. patch has a very dark blue under her wings above his tail with bits of grey mottled in there too, and half of her belly is sky blue, half is white!
Junior is mostly white with extremely light touches of the cinnamon on his winds and some very faint sky blue on his tummy, tail and legs
interesting bunch huh!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
There you go: I was wrong again. I don't know when I'm going to get this right. What is the mutation of the male?

·
Professional Lurker
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well nev seems to think a cinnamon greywing :) i have no idea what any of this means or if these particular mutations are special or boring haha, i just thought id ask

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Is Junior the male or does he looks just like the male? If Juniior is greywing and the father is greywing then beanie must be /greywing. I'm I right about this?

·
Professional Lurker
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh im sorry i thought by male you were referring to junior :) Im assuming you mean the father of beanies babies.

This is the only photo i have of bob

·
Professional Lurker
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey! if you birdnap my baby i may have to come and birdnap some of yours!!!

And im still none the wiser about the babies?!! anyone else wanna have a guess, its mainly Patch that im interested in, her different coloured flight feathers intrigue me

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Bob is a normal sky blue and as Nev said, Beanie is a cinnamon recessive pied sky blue.

Since Patch is a recessive pied, then Bob must be split for recessive pied. (Does Bob have a white pied spot on the back of his head?)

You said that Patch's body color is sky blue, which makes sense because I don't think two sky blue birds (no dark factors http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkfactor) can produce anything darker than sky blue. Nev?

Your flock is gorgeous! I love the variety. :loveeyes:

I'd love to see pictures of the front of the two babies. :)

·
Professional Lurker
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
her chest is half white, half sky blue, but her back underneath her wings, is a very dark blue even darker than her dad! you can see it in the baby pictures its even darker now! ill snap some front piccys tomorrow :)

·
3,676 Posts
Bob is a normal sky blue and as Nev said, Beanie is a cinnamon recessive pied sky blue.

Since Patch is a recessive pied, then Bob must be split for recessive pied. (Does Bob have a white pied spot on the back of his head?)

You said that Patch's body color is sky blue, which makes sense because I don't think two sky blue birds (no dark factors) can produce anything darker than sky blue.
That's right if both parents are sky blue they can't produce a darker shade. If the chick has a dark factor we must have misjudged the shade of one of the parents.

Bob must be split for recessive pied but only a small percentage of birds that are split for recessive pied have a pied spot on the back of their heads

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,532 Posts
That's right if both parents are sky blue they can't produce a darker shade. If the chick has a dark factor we must have misjudged the shade of one of the parents.

Bob must be split for recessive pied but only a small percentage of birds that are split for recessive pied have a pied spot on the back of their heads
I thought the pied spot was for Dom Pied?? I have a dom pied hen and she has the spot... her son is a dom pied and he has a spot... her other son has a tiny spot but normal dark green body...lol... I am so confused!!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I thought the pied spot was for Dom Pied?? I have a dom pied hen and she has the spot... her son is a dom pied and he has a spot... her other son has a tiny spot but normal dark green body...lol... I am so confused!!
Sometimes when a bird is split for recessive pied they can have that spot too, but no other pied markings.

Although it is not always the case some do have it :)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
All pieds have clear head spots; however, sometimes the spot is masked by clear head feathers.

And as Nev said, some birds who are split to recessive pied have clear head spots.

·
3,676 Posts
All pied mutations have a clear area on the back of the head. With a recessive pied is is generally not noticed because there are so many other clear areas.

The chick you have with a small spot hasn't inherited dominant pied but it is probably split for recessive pied. This could have been inherited from either parent. Recessive mutations can be carried for countless generations without showing, then suddenly appear when the right pairing is made

WHOOPS! Looks like Susan & I posted at the same time

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.