Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey TB!

I went Christmas shopping for Cutie, and found out the store had just gotten a shipment of hand raised budgies two days ago! The little ones are only 8 weeks old, but all look very healthy and happy! :)

This little budgie stole my heart, and I would love to know more about him. Since they are so young, is it impossible to tell gender? I tried my best to get good shots of his/her cere, but my camera isn't the best and zoom only creates an insanely blurry picture. I'm so sorry for the quality of the photos!

Also, who knows the mutation?

My only concern is the tail. It looks a little red to me. At first, I thought it was blood, but it wasn't. Could it be dye? I have never heard of a red budgie, but the employee told me it looked like part of his/her feather.

And, without further ado, meet the little guy!

·
Registered
893 Posts
what a cute little budgie!!
(im probably totally wrong because it's kinda hard to see)
to me, if i had to give it a wild guess, it looks like a girl, because of the white around the nostrils (at least it looks like white around the nostrils)

but the cere looks pink and at that age pink usually means a boy. so i'm really not helping at all :rolleyes:

·
Registered
802 Posts
pied, cobalt w/ grey factor????

Sorry its vague, but i am leaning toward dom pied, with clearflight in second.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I'm confident she's a hen, due to white nostril rings.

As for mutation, I'd says she's either a cobalt dominant pied or a heavily marked cobalt recessive pied.

My youngster, Bib, is a heavily marked cobalt YF1 recessive pied.

She's a cutie!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
You can have females together. You'd have to watch them to make sure they don't fight and split them up if you needed to. I have two females together and they get along fine.

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
female ( i think i see some yellow? ) dominant pied manuve

you can keep her with Cutie , there maybe some fights/bickering

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Dominant pied cobalt grey. The way the wings are marked and the faint white area across the front of the body shows that the mutation is dominant pied. The colour of the cheek patches show the grey mutation.

Have the wings been clipped? If they are not clipped this could be a very mild case of French moult. The flight and tail feathers usually grow back quite quickly with no lasting effect on the bird

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi nev,

dominant pied rahter than clearflight... is that because there are too many other clear feathers on the wings?

grey rather than mauve, because the cheek patches are blue/grey rahter than violet?

thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
im not nev but for me what gave away the dominant pied was the spot on the back of his/her head. this is only in pieds i think that this happens.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dominant pied cobalt grey. The way the wings are marked and the faint white area across the front of the body shows that the mutation is dominant pied. The colour of the cheek patches show the grey mutation.

Have the wings been clipped? If they are not clipped this could be a very mild case of French moult. The flight and tail feathers usually grow back quite quickly with no lasting effect on the bird
I'm actually not sure... they were only 8 weeks old, so I wondered if maybe the tail feathers just hadn't grown in all the way yet? It is very possible that they clipped the wings, because none of the birds could fly.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I'm actually not sure... they were only 8 weeks old, so I wondered if maybe the tail feathers just hadn't grown in all the way yet? It is very possible that they clipped the wings, because none of the birds could fly.
Only 8 wks? I would think that it would be silly to clip wing that young. They look like they're growing in ok, but maybe a nutrisional deficiancy?

So r u gonna get her? :D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only 8 wks? I would think that it would be silly to clip wing that young. They look like they're growing in ok, but maybe a nutrisional deficiancy?

So r u gonna get her? :D
I wish! I actually don't want another female, so I wouldn't be getting her. I'm horrible at telling gender, though. If we did go there and my parents magically said yes, I would probably end up with a female anyway because I wouldn't have a clue :eek: The employee at the store assured me there was "no way to tell when they are this young" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I wish! I actually don't want another female, so I wouldn't be getting her. I'm horrible at telling gender, though. If we did go there and my parents magically said yes, I would probably end up with a female anyway because I wouldn't have a clue :eek: The employee at the store assured me there was "no way to tell when they are this young" :rolleyes:
LOL that's funny! Well even if you get a female i'm sure it'll work out and maybe they'll give in. Guess I was luck when I was growing up I had everything from rats to chickens! Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The feathers should be fully grown by 8 weeks. It is possible to tell the gender of most young budgies, but it's really hard for me to tell for sure in those photos. Something closer up and with less flash would help. A rule of thumb is that pink/purple is a boy and very light to whitish blue with more white around the nostrils is a girl in very young budgies. The cere in the photos looked pink, but there were obvious white rings around the nostrils. Could that have been caused by the flash? My male budgie Prometheus had lighter...almost white...rings around his nostrils, but I was confident that he was a boy because the low part of his cere was very dark pink....almost purple. He now has a very dark blue cere.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
im not nev but for me what gave away the dominant pied was the spot on the back of his/her head. this is only in pieds i think that this happens.
hi there,

clearflight is a type of pied, it is a separate pied variety also with dominant inheritance. they usually have just clear flights and maybe a bit of base colour on the top half of the chest.

i am wondering how to tell that this one is a dominant pied rather than a clearflight with heavy pied markings on the wings... i am sure nev will clarify...or anyone else?:S

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.