Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This breeder want to give me this boy, and I went to go see him and took some pictures. Can you please tell me him mutation? I think he is a spangle dilute dominant pied. He has no noyicable pied markings though eccept on his head :S Thaks all in advance!

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
He looks like a greywing to me. But might be cinnamon. Are his markings grey or brown in person? He's not a spangle. He could be a greywing clearflight pied if he has no other markings. Do you know his parents' mutations? Or have pictures of them?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I do not know the parents mutations. She said he came from a breeding program where two people let their males and females breed through it. I think she did mention that the hen was split for cinnamon. His marking in person are both brown and grey. But I thought his markings were like that because he was dilute :eek:

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
He looks like a greywing to me. But might be cinnamon. Are his markings grey or brown in person? He's not a spangle. He could be a greywing clearflight pied if he has no other markings. Do you know his parents' mutations? Or have pictures of them?
I'm not a mutations expert, but I agree with clearflight pied greywing. The greywing gene diluted his body color. http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#dilution

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
His markings are much too dark for
Dilute. And I can't see any of the pied markings on the pics from my phone, so I'll take your word for it that he has the spot. :) What color are his feet? They look blue in the first pic which would mean he's greywing and not cinnamon. Cinnamons, as far as I know, always have pink feet/legs.

A hen can't be split for cinnamon. If they get one copy of the cinnamon gene, it shows up on the bird. :) If she was cinnamon, there still couldn't be cinnamon males unless dad was cinnamon or split for cinnamon as well. He's quite beautiful!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In real life his legs are blue, thank you Erin :) In th last picture, you can see the spot just a bit but not to good. So I guess he is a greywing?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
That's what I would say, yes. You should wait and see what Lindsey or Nev have to say. I'm no expert. :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that one pied spot confuses me :S So do you guys think he could be a greywing pied? Is that possible?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I brought the little boy home last night, so this morning I got some better shots of his pied spot. There is one cute little striped feather in the middle of it :giggle:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
He is not pied. The pied spot on his head could mean that he is split for recessive pied.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Congratulations on your new little cutie! :)

He could be a poorly marked clearflight or dominant pied, or split for recessive pied. I have had birds with a spot smaller than that and no other pied markings be dominant and clearflight pied personally that had normally marked pied chicks :)

The only way to know for sure would be breeding him :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Here are some pictures of one example :) He was completely normal looking except for a small spot on the back of his head and I figured he was just split for recessive pied if anything, but he had clearflight pied chicks with 2 different normal hens:

Here are some of the chicks :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are some pictures of one example :) He was completely normal looking except for a small spot on the back of his head and I figured he was just split for recessive pied if anything, but he had clearflight pied chicks with 2 different normal hens:

Here are some of the chicks :)

How can I think about mutations when you post cute pictures like those :love: I was thinking about breeding him, can't wait for the outcome

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Congratulations on your new little cutie! :)

He could be a poorly marked clearflight or dominant pied, or split for recessive pied. I have had birds with a spot smaller than that and no other pied markings be dominant and clearflight pied personally that had normally marked pied chicks :)

The only way to know for sure would be breeding him :)

That's very interesting, Lindsey! Thanks for posting. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.