Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This lovely little birdie is in the shop at the moment. Definitely tempted! I was wondering if you knew what mutation he could be?

I've never seen one before; is this a Yellowface II? xx

·
Registered
694 Posts
The green splotches on him are incredible!

I'd definitely say a yellowface II (just finished reading about them, actually), but I'm fascinated by what else he has...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know!! I normally don't like greens, except olives and lutinos, and those budgies with their colours inverted (green body, yellow wings!), because they are all gorgeous, but this one is so strange. He would look quite odd beside my white and mauve budgies, but maybe he would be a welcome splash of colour to the family !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoops, posted just before I saw your message, intoxxication !

Yeah, he is even nicer in person, this photo really does not give that bird justice; the colours are SO bright, and kind of.. smooth, or something, like almost a gradient, running into each other?

Haha I'm not so good with the mutations, but I had seen lots of 'yellowfaces' in the pet shop where I work, but never any as interesting as this, so I thought "maybe he could be the other type.." C:

·
Registered
694 Posts
http://www.***************/c_yellowface.html

That has a great explanation of the different yellowface types. It's actually great for all kinds of mutations.

I'd say that this little guy could be a half-sider. It's not an actual genetic trait, but it's extremely rare. It's explained on that site, actually.

The half-sider is actually not a true variety. The trait is not genetically inherited. Rather, it is a congenital condition. Visually, this budgie is split vertically, with the appearance and color of two distinct varieties appearing in splotches or sections divided by the vertical center line.
If that is what it is, then he's very rare. It's caused by the egg actually having twins, but one is absorbed and the other takes on both sets of genetics.

http://www.***************/v_halfsider1.jpg

I hope someone that actually knows genetics will come along soon and clarify. This is really interesting.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
But doesn't the half sider look like the left half and the right half belong to different budgies that joined together? This budgie just seems to have a splash of paint on the feathers kind of look.

·
Registered
694 Posts
That's what I thought too, Rashu, but it's all I can think of. I'm not good with genetics though. But I did find these photos.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I don't think he is a halfsider. I think yellowface type 2, but if the yellow is a very deep colour it could be a golden face.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh really, you think he might be a halfsider ?? That would be fantastic!, but he probably isn't; surely the breeder would have sold him privately for a much higher price than to our pet shop for about £12?

Probably just a particularly bright, particularly splotchy Yellowface then. If it helps, the other birds in that batch were as follows.. Don't know if they came from the same pair, but certainly the same breeder..
An albino, two lutinos, a blue opaline spangle, a very violet violet, a skyblue, and a light green !

Edit - re the last post: oh ok, would they have the green patches on them too? It's all around his body. I can take more photos this afternoon if it would help anyone? Even though he's probably not that interesting when it comes down to it, I'm even more curious now that there is disagreement ! :)

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
He is a yellowface type 2 skyblue, as he finishes his moult you will find msot of his feathers turn a seagreen colour but directly underneath the wings he will retain the skyblue.

He is not a halfsider.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that they can change colour after a moult. Se, I know nothing about genetics haha. It would have been awesome if he was a half sider though.

So Amelia, he would be a green/blue split or something of the sort? Genetics fascinate me.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Usually Yellowface Type II's/ Golden Faces develop more yellow diffusion through their plumage during a molt. When yellow diffuses to a blue base, you get green. ;) Since yellow x blue = green.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that they can change colour after a moult. Se, I know nothing about genetics haha. It would have been awesome if he was a half sider though.

So Amelia, he would be a green/blue split or something of the sort? Genetics fascinate me.
Genetically he is still a blue bird his genetics do not change just the colouring you see.

If he was bred to another blue series you would not breed any greens from them.

I am not the best at explaining genetics to people lol, this site may help you though:
http://www.***************/genetics.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.