Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Type 2 yellow face clearwing sky blue

Yellow face opaline mauve. The yellow face is probably type 2 but can't tell for sure until after the moult

Type 2 yellow face dominant pied grey hen but need a back view to see if there is anything else

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Type 2 yellow face clearwing sky blue

Yellow face opaline mauve. The yellow face is probably type 2 but can't tell for sure until after the moult

Type 2 yellow face dominant pied grey hen but need a back view to see if there is anything else
Thanks Nev here is the back of the pied

Attachments

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
Are you sure she's mauve and not cobalt? Just curious.
Cobalt is only a bit darker than sky blue. A mauve is a very dark blue :).

The following pics are so you can compare:

The first pic is of a YF2 Skyblue Dominant pied Opaline Greywing, The second pic is of a Cobalt Opaline, and the third pic is of a Mauve Dominant Pied (The Cobalt and the Mauve are brother/sister)

Skyblue

Cobalt Blue

Mauve Blue

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Thank you both for your responses. :D

Prettybird, your second bird looks to me like a sky blue and your third bird looks to me like a cobalt. (All three birds are gorgeous, by the way!)

I'm convinced my pictured Mr. Blue is sky blue and three of the four pictured babies are cobalt. Right?

Attachments

·
3,676 Posts
Prettybird, your second bird looks to me like a sky blue and your third bird looks to me like a cobalt. (All three birds are gorgeous, by the way!)

I'm convinced my pictured Mr. Blue is sky blue and three of the four pictured babies are cobalt. Right?
I agree with both the above statements

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
The sky blue **** whose pic I posted above is the father of the four babies -- including the three YF cobalts -- whose pic I posted above (http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=33077). He also fathered another YF cobalt with another hen (http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=33121). Thus, my sky blue male produces dark-factored chicks, too. :)
Both parents have a dark factor, the **** is a dark green opaline clearflight pied, and the hen is a albino/cobalt greywing (and I have yet to figure out where these dominant pieds are coming from as the hen has no history of dom. pied in her lineage, and the **** can't be split for it and it's not visual on him...) anyway, back to my point. Ive been going off the colors chart, and the pair has never produced any single factor chicks, they've all been darker. The darkish **** in question isn't alive anymore so I can't try to get any better pictures of him.

http://wbo.bestofbreeds.net/budgerigarcolourguide.htm according to this, the only other color he could be is violet, and unless the albino hen's mother was a cobalt violet greywing, then he has to be a mauve. It is possible I suppose that he's a violet as I never really cared about mutations until I joined TB. The only picture I have of the hen's mom is small and blurry but you can try to see if she's violet or not.

·
3,676 Posts
A bird with no dark factor can be the parent of a chick with one dark factor provided that the other patent has at least one dark factor

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
A bird with no dark factor can be the parent of a chick with one dark factor provided that the other patent has at least one dark factor
Ok, this isn't really getting anywhere. Maybe the color chart is wrong (thats the only thing I can think of as to why we're getting different opinions on the matter.) anyway, Im just going to go ahead and say he's a cobalt and not a mauve.

·
Born2Bfree, bred2Bcaptive
2,887 Posts
The first budgie, type 2 clearwing is my dream! One day I shall find a budgie with in this color.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.