Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my pedigrees :) So is it pretty safe to say that if a bird has a mutation/color somewhere in it's past 3-4 generations it could throw chicks like that unless it's a hen and it's sex-linked?

And if the above is true, pairing two with the same past mutation/color will help to bring that out?

Also how can I find out what some of the codes mean such as... GY SP GWGY or GSPN

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Got my pedigrees :) So is it pretty safe to say that if a bird has a mutation/color somewhere in it's past 3-4 generations it could throw chicks like that unless it's a hen and it's sex-linked?this only applies to recessive varieties, with a dominant variety if the gene is present it shows.

And if the above is true, pairing two with the same past mutation/color will help to bring that out?yes, pairing the bird with the variety you think it is split for is the only way to find out.

Also how can I find out what some of the codes mean such as... GY SP GWGY or GSPN i think people just abbreviate however they feel like... i would guess they mean gy = grey, sp = spangle, gwgy = greywing, gspn = ????

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got my pedigrees :) So is it pretty safe to say that if a bird has a mutation/color somewhere in it's past 3-4 generations it could throw chicks like that unless it's a hen and it's sex-linked?this only applies to recessive varieties, with a dominant variety if the gene is present it shows.
Ok makes sense so this would be true for dom pied and spangle.
What other traits are dominant?
Also can you list sexlinked? Opaline I know, but am still learning...
Thanks!

And if the above is true, pairing two with the same past mutation/color will help to bring that out?yes, pairing the bird with the variety you think it is split for is the only way to find out.
I have pedigree so do have an idea :)

Also how can I find out what some of the codes mean such as... GY SP GWGY or GSPN i think people just abbreviate however they feel like... i would guess they mean gy = grey, sp = spangle, gwgy = greywing, gspn = ????

There should be a code...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
dominant genes - if the gene is present it will be visible (unless hidden by something like ino...):
green
grey
violet - can be tricky to see in greens though
spangle
dominant pied
yellow face 1 and 2 and golden face (remembering that double factor yf1 has a white face so appears hidden)

sexlinked genes - present on the X chromosome:
opaline
cinnamon
ino
clearbodies
slate

thats all off the top of my head...

maybe there is a code and nobody told me!!:p

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dominant genes - if the gene is present it will be visible (unless hidden by something like ino...):
green
grey
violet - can be tricky to see in greens though
spangle
dominant pied
yellow face 1 and 2 and golden face (remembering that double factor yf1 has a white face so appears hidden)

sexlinked genes - present on the X chromosome:
opaline
cinnamon
ino
clearbodies
slate

thats all off the top of my head...

maybe there is a code and nobody told me!!:p
Hmm well some of these birds have grey and yellowface in their genes from parents or grandparents sooo that means since it doesn't show they won't throw any chicks that color?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
that is right, if they have a grey gene they will be grey or greygreen... unless it is hidden by ino etc.

the same applies to yf except that double factor yf1 have white faces like a non-yf

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hmmm.. ino, df spangle, dark eyed clear... thats all i think. any variety that removes all the melanin so that the markings and body colour is not visible regardless of what the bird is genetically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.