Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a chick that I am curious to know what others think. I believe she is an opaline cinnamon. With flash she looks cinnamon and if in not mistaken the cinnamon gene can wash 50% of the body colour out like dilute. Thanks in advance. In the picture of her and her siblings in the nest box, the one in question is right in the front on the right. Excuse the dirty nest box I took the picture right before cleaning the box.

All babies are opaline. Also... What about the blue baby is he spangle? Or is he just a normal. I think just normal and the only male of the clutch. Thanks!

Attachments

Reactions: StarlingWings

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
Congratulations on your beautiful chicks! :love:
The one in question doesn't look like a cinnamon, actually. I think she looks more greywing, opaline. Even cinnamon opalines (both genes which dilute the body colour by about 20%) don't have that faint of markings. Do you have any closer pictures of her or ones taken in natural light to comfirm?

The blue one is a sky blue, yellowface II, opaline. He's not spangle ;) Unless the mother is visual opaline as well as the father being visual or split he cannot be male. :thumbsup:

Hope to see more of your babies :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are mom and dad.

Dad is a visual opaline spangle.
Mom I believe is a yellow face opaline df dominant pied.

They are red/pink from an apple flavour mineral block.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is chick 1 pretty sure it's a male.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
He does look male in that picture, and it's definitely possible since both parents are opaline ;) What a cutie! He's going to look just like my girl when he's older :love:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chick 2 was thinking female but tonight looks male lol. Opinions? Chick 2 is just a light green opaline.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
Chick 2 could be male, it's hard to tell without pictures in natural light. S/he is also dominant pied ;) Chick 3 is dominant pied, as well :thumbsup: Definitely a girl!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chick 4 chick in question. Now that you say that she could be greywing but man she's light in color. Her body color is hard to tell from her yellow.
Mom could be split greywing as her father was split to it. Father I do not know about any hidden splits and it's his first time having babies.

Female opaline and either dilute/greywing or cinnamon????

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
I would say definitely greywing, opaline from these new pictures :love: It's such a coincidence both parents were split to greywing, what a gorgeous baby :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am pretty sure chick 2 and chick 3 are clear flighted pied. Which could mean dad is split recessive pied???

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is belly pic of chick 4.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
Sometimes dominant pied only affects the wing feathers. As far as I know, recessive and dominant pied as a co-dominant trait produces combination pied, not clearflight pied, although I could be wrong. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Would you agree with me that mom is a df dominant pied or what are your opinions the more yellow picture is her mother. I was told at one point in time that her mom was a dominant pied/recessive pied cross but I didn't think that was possible. I could very well be wrong.

Lol mutation thoughts on both birds would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Needless to say I am in love with these babies! Especially the blue male! He is beautiful! I got lucky that the male is split blue and I guess greywing lol.

I didn't know that the dominant pied could only affect the wings! Learnt something new! So in saying that how do you come across a clear flighted pied then?

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
To me the budgie in the first two pictures looks like a cobalt, opaline, golden face, combo pied budgie. The second female appears to be cobalt, normal, golden face, recessive pied.

Clearflight pied is a seperate gene just like dominant and recessive pied but it's very difficult to find in its "perfect" form, usually it just looks like dominant pied, with a focus on the flight feathers. In this case it's very possible that the babies are clearflight pied and the more dominant pied looking ones just aren't as well marked. It also can coexist with recessive pied making combination pied so the first hen could have been clearflight, recessive. However, I'm not sure because two recessive genes and one clearflight makes dark eyed clear, so I don't know if it would be possible for her to be so heavily pied with only one hidden recessive pied gene and one clearflight gene.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between poorly marked clearflight pied a and dominant pieds. With the variation in markings it's really hard to tell, haha. I would say it's also very possible everyone is dominant pied instead of clearflight pied, too.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So how would the combo pied budgie have come about when the mom was the more yellow and then the dad was a yellow face type 2 spangle he is split opaline/greywing. First two pictures . Males parents were an opaline spangle female and a yellow face type 2 greywing.
They produced these chicks which the white ones and the more yellow one had small patches of blue but only very small small patches. Would the one baby not have been a clear flight pied??? That is the combo pieds brother and other siblings! Are the white babied dark eyed clears?

Lol the pieds mutations confuse the heck out of me.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
So the last picture is the sibling of the combo pied hen you posted above? And the mother of that pied chick is also the mother of your current chicks, right? Or is she the mother of the combo pied hen you posted above?

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your post :eek:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This hen is the mom

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.