Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
To these guys a few years back. The hen posted here is the mom to the chicks I have now that I was questioning about the greywing chick. The chicks posted here were of her and her siblings when she was young.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Both of the pied hens I'm questioning do have irises... I just didn't seem to have gotten them in the pictures?

·
Super Moderator
17,947 Posts
Ah, okay. So if they both have irises, as the mother of this hen was recessive pied and either dominant pied or clearflight, although, it seems, more likely to be dominant pied. For this hen to be combo pied the father must have been either? clearflight or dominant pied, as far as I know, and hiding recessive pied. She could have therefore been combo pied from the recessive side of Mum and the dominant or clearflight side of dad, or the dominant side of mum and the recessive side of dad. If he (the father) happened to be hiding recessive pied and he was clearflight, only then would the babies be dark eyed clears.

From the pictures of this hen and her siblings I can venture to sort of say that they are all clearflight pied.

Is this making any sense? :eek:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Chick 4 chick in question. Now that you say that she could be greywing but man she's light in color. Her body color is hard to tell from her yellow.
Mom could be split greywing as her father was split to it. Father I do not know about any hidden splits and it's his first time having babies.

Female opaline and either dilute/greywing or cinnamon????
I think that pale marked baby looks way too pale to be a Greywing, but it seems most likely if the Dad is split for it. I would have said it was a Dilute. :S

Pieds - there are three options, Recessive Pied, Dominant Pied and Clearflight Pied. Recessive Pied and Dominant Pied together make a what is called a combination pied. Recessive Pied and Clearflight together make Dark Eyed Clears.

With the original chicks this thread was about... if they are all Dominant Pied then it is likely the hen is a df Dom Pied, and there is no need to think that she is a combination pied unless a non-pied chick is hatched.

If you have a non-pied chick then she is likely a combination pied, which means she must have received Dominant Pied from one parent and Recessive Pied from both parents. Her mother looks like a combination pied so she could have passed on the Dom Pied and Rec Pied, and that just means the father was split for Rec Pied also.

Either way there is no evidence of Clearflight Pied so I think we can rule that out....;)

·
Super Moderator
17,947 Posts
I think that pale marked baby looks way too pale to be a Greywing, but it seems most likely if the Dad is split for it. I would have said it was a Dilute. :S

Pieds - there are three options, Recessive Pied, Dominant Pied and Clearflight Pied. Recessive Pied and Dominant Pied together make a what is called a combination pied. Recessive Pied and Clearflight together make Dark Eyed Clears.

With the original chicks this thread was about... if they are all Dominant Pied then it is likely the hen is a df Dom Pied, and there is no need to think that she is a combination pied unless a non-pied chick is hatched.

If you have a non-pied chick then she is likely a combination pied, which means she must have received Dominant Pied from one parent and Recessive Pied from both parents. Her mother looks like a combination pied so she could have passed on the Dom Pied and Rec Pied, and that just means the father was split for Rec Pied also.

Either way there is no evidence of Clearflight Pied so I think we can rule that out....;)
That's what I thought, but how do you explain the dark eyed clear chicks as siblings of the hen? They don't seem to be albino, unless it's the light/camera angle. :S

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
That's what I thought, but how do you explain the dark eyed clear chicks as siblings of the hen? They don't seem to be albino, unless it's the light/camera angle. :S
We would need to see them to be sure they have no markings. If they do then it is possible they are df Spangles. The father of them was spangle and the hen had very few markings so may also have been...:)

·
Super Moderator
17,947 Posts
We would need to see them to be sure they have no markings. If they do then it is possible they are df Spangles. The father of them was spangle and the hen had very few markings so may also have been...:)
I thought of that but the mother was not spangle, she has dark, solid wing markings in the few patches left. She's the yellow and green recessive pied hen.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
She isn't spangle. She has had chicks with a df spangle and all chicks were sf spangle recessive pieds/ combo pieds. Also father does not have the albino gene.

This is one of the chicks she had with the df spangle would she be a combo pied?

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I do not think she is recessive pied either as she does have iris rings.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is it possible that she is a double factor dominant pied with a recessive pied gene or can they not have both?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I thought of that but the mother was not spangle, she has dark, solid wing markings in the few patches left. She's the yellow and green recessive pied hen.
I saw that too but have seen plenty of Spangles with a few, or more, solid feathers so I think we'd need more than one or two to prove it either way. However, if she only produced sf Spangles with a df Spangle male, that pretty much proves it - though again it may just have been chance messing with us :eek:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Is it possible that she is a double factor dominant pied with a recessive pied gene or can they not have both?
Yes you can have both as they are separate genes, just like you can have spangle and opaline and cinnamon in the same bird for example. You could have any combination of the pied genes mixed up together in theory, though here I think it is clear that there are no Clearflight Pieds. If she is a df Dom Pied then she can never produce a chick that is not Dom Pied, so any non-pied chicks proves she is sf.

She looks a lot like a combination pied to me and the iris rings indicates that she is. Her markings are very Recessive Pied, yet there is something about them that says Dominant Pied to me also. If she isn't then the mother of all these Dom Pied chicks would have to be a Recessive Pied, which causes all sorts of new problems. :eek:

To be sure of a combination pied you really have to have produced both types of pied in the chicks, otherwise it is just our best guess.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.