Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if I have the mutation right for this baby

I think she is a Sky blue opaline cinnamon

Thanks
Craig

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I agree with the sky blue opaline, but her feet look grey/blue which would mean greywing, not cinnamon. What are her parents? Also, you can tell in person better than we can in a photo. Sometimes it's hard to tell between the two.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Actually, her cheek patches look pretty bright where a cinnamon or greywing would have duller cheek patches. Was this taken with a flash? Could you post a pic without a flash. She looks a lot like my clearwing....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No this was not taken with a flash and how she looks in the pic is exactly how she looks in person.

Her parents are:
Mum - Sky blue spangle
Dad - Normal Cobalt Blue

I have no idea if they are split for anything as this is the 1st time I have bred them but this is the only chick that had me a bit confused

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The Tail Quill looks grey, and so do the markings on the wings.

So most probably this is a Full Bodied Greywing Opaline Skyblue....but I am not sure.

The clearwings I've seen around hear don't have the flight feathers as grey as this chick does

I could be wrong. :D

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
The Tail Quill looks grey, and so do the markings on the wings.

So most probably this is a Full Bodied Greywing Opaline Skyblue....but I am not sure.

The clearwings I've seen around hear don't have the flight feathers as grey as this chick does

I could be wrong. :D
I wondered about a FBC greywing myself. One parent would have to carry the greywing gene and the other, the clearwing gene. What did the other chicks look like?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for trying to help with this I will get some pics of the parents and the other chicks and post them in the morning to see if that helps.

S/he really has me stumped lol

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I wondered about a FBC greywing myself. One parent would have to carry the greywing gene and the other, the clearwing gene. What did the other chicks look like?
Who knows what the parents were split for, since both Clearwing and Greywing are recessive to Normal.

If this bird is a Greywing, in my opinion, it should be a Full Bodied Greywing since the Skyblue isn't diluted but brightened.

Now the parents aren't visually Clearwing or Greywing according to the OP, so this chick can indicate that a parent is split to greywing while the other is split to clearwing (or is it possible that a budgie can be split to both greywing and clearwing at the same time? That should make it easier to produce FBC Greywings if the other parent is split to greywing or clearwing)

How do the other chicks in the clutch look like?

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I think it is a sky blue opaline clearwing :) I dont have any clearwings personally, but the cheek patches look too bright for a full body greywing to me. Lets see what Nev says he will be able to tell us for sure :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
but the cheek patches look too bright for a full body greywing to me.
Opaline clearwing sky blue
So Clearwings have Dark Grey Flight Feathers too? I didn't know that. :)

Oh and regarding the cheek patches, what exactly do you look for to know for sure if a bird is a clearwing or not?

I've always felt trouble deciding between Dilutes, Clearwings and Greywings...although I look for Grey tails and wing stripes on Greywings...and my FBC greywing and greywing, both have violet cheek patches...do all greywings have that?

And clearwings have them blue?

What about throat spots?

Also Clearwings have a brightened body colour, is that correct?

And regarding Rainbows...they should be Opaline Clearwing Yellowface Blue...

Rainbows are quite in demand in my country but most people don't know what they look like.

So what should they look for in a Rainbow? Grey stripes and grey tail too?
How would they differer from a FBC Greywing Opaline YF Blue?

Or can a Rainbow budgie also be FBC Greywing?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
A rainbow budgie is a YF opaline blue series clearwing but can't be a FBC greywing as well. Clearwings, as I understand it, used to have clear wings but, at least here in the US, the markings have become darker unfortunately. They do have bright body color and normal (bright royal blue or violet - to me it's more of a blue) cheek patches.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
A rainbow budgie is a YF opaline blue series clearwing but can't be a FBC greywing as well. Clearwings, as I understand it, used to have clear wings but, at least here in the US, the markings have become darker unfortunately. They do have bright body color and normal (bright royal blue or violet - to me it's more of a blue) cheek patches.
So this would be a Clearwing or a FBC Greywing?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi everyone thanks for all your help with this.

I've been looking for greywings and clearwings to buy for ages so never would have thought i would get any from the budgies that i have bred but any way here are the pics of the parents and other chicks that i said i would post and what i thought their mutations are, but like i said i don't know about any splits as this is the 1st time they have bred. (Sorry the pics are not great but this was the best i could get)

Mum - Sky blue spangle
Dad - Normal Cobalt Blue

Dad again

The other chicks

Chick 1

Chick 2

So I don't know if this helps at all but like i said i really appreciate everones help

Craig

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure I have this right as i'm still learning about the genetics so was wondering if anyone could let me know.

If the chick i originally posted about is a clearwing does that mean that both parents have to carry the gene in split form as i didn't think either one shows it visually although i could be wrong lol

Also from the pics of the other 2 chicks in the post above this one would anyone say that either of them are clearwings/greywings

Thanks for any help and sorry if that made no sense at all i'm still a real novice at the whole mutations thing

Craig

·
Registered
428 Posts
So Clearwings have Dark Grey Flight Feathers too? I didn't know that. :)

Oh and regarding the cheek patches, what exactly do you look for to know for sure if a bird is a clearwing or not?

I've always felt trouble deciding between Dilutes, Clearwings and Greywings...although I look for Grey tails and wing stripes on Greywings...and my FBC greywing and greywing, both have violet cheek patches...do all greywings have that?

And clearwings have them blue?

What about throat spots?

Also Clearwings have a brightened body colour, is that correct?

And regarding Rainbows...they should be Opaline Clearwing Yellowface Blue...

Rainbows are quite in demand in my country but most people don't know what they look like.

So what should they look for in a Rainbow? Grey stripes and grey tail too?
How would they differer from a FBC Greywing Opaline YF Blue?

Or can a Rainbow budgie also be FBC Greywing?
In clearwings, cheek patches are wild-type violet. The wing markings and throat spots should be very pale (in poor specimens, sometimes gray). The tail feathers are gray. The body color is full-intensity.

In full-bodied graywings, cheek patches are wild-type violet. The throat spots should be gray like graywings. The wing markings are should be a slightly darker gray than graywings. The tail feathers are gray. The body color is full-intensity.

In full-bodied graywings, cheek patches are pale violet. The wing markings and throat spots should be gray. The tail feathers are gray. The body color is 50% intensity.

In dilutes, cheek patches are pale violet. The wing markings and throat spots should be pale gray. The tail feathers are gray. The body color is 20% intensity.

A poorly colored (dark) clearwing can look identical to a poorly colored (light) FBG. The only way to know for sure is to breed the birds. There's a discussion about clearwings and graywings on the clearwing wikipedia page. I compiled a montage of graywing/clearwing/dilute bird pictures here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.