Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the baby is very young, but I'm sure that many of you will have an idea of the mutation.
Dad is a Grey (with 1 dark factor)Spangle/Cin
Mom is a lutino/ blue. She is also masking violet and I think Opaline (Not yet sure about this).
I think baby is a Green Cin Spangle. (Maybe Greygreen?)
What do you think?

Polokwane-20120825-00355.jpg

Polokwane-20120825-00354.jpg

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
grey, spangle, cinnamon Male x lutino /split for blue /masking violet, opaline female

You could get...
Blues
Greens
Grey (single factor)
Violet (single factor)
Normals
Spangles
All females will be cinnamon
All males will be split for cinnamon but not show it
Some of the males will be split for opaline

The photos aren't clear or big enough for me to be sure of the chicks exact mutation. But from what I can see it maybe spangle but it looks like it has a pied spot on the back of it's head. It is a green series because of the yellow feathers. I think cinnamon would be lighter so I would say you have a green, spangle maybe split for recessive pied. Again not sure at all because of the photos. Good luck. Should be nice color.

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
I stand in awe of those of you who can track this
and predict with such accuracy. I'm trying to learn,
but this one whizzed right over my head. I'll have
to take notes because I know there is valuable info
here....

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grey, spangle, cinnamon Male x lutino /split for blue /masking violet, opaline female

You could get...
Blues
Greens
Grey (single factor)
Violet (single factor)
Normals
Spangles
All females will be cinnamon
All males will be split for cinnamon but not show it
Some of the males will be split for opaline

The photos aren't clear or big enough for me to be sure of the chicks exact mutation. But from what I can see it maybe spangle but it looks like it has a pied spot on the back of it's head. It is a green series because of the yellow feathers. I think cinnamon would be lighter so I would say you have a green, spangle maybe split for recessive pied. Again not sure at all because of the photos. Good luck. Should be nice color.
Thank you for your comments! Yes, sorry about the quality of the pics - took it with my cell phone.
Just a few remarks: Isn't the pied spot normal for Spangles? The Spangle mutation is considered as a pied mutation!
Not all females will be cinnamon, but all cinnamons will be female - the male is only split cinnamon.

I stand in awe of those of you who can track this
and predict with such accuracy. I'm trying to learn,
but this one whizzed right over my head. I'll have
to take notes because I know there is valuable info
here....
To know what you are going to get out of a pair is not that difficult - in fact it is very easy. My problem is the identifying of the mutations - especially when a few mutations are combined.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Spangles don't have pied spots as part of the spangle mutation. I'm thinking we need to see more photos of the chick once it grows a bit to see what color mutation you really have. as far as I know only recessive, dominant and maybe clear flight have pied spots.

Not all females will be cinnamon, but all cinnamons will be female - the male is only split cinnamon. <--- Good catch your right. Thanks for correcting me.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I will post another pic in about a week's time. I know it is very difficult to see on a photo the real colour, but I'm going to be very surprised if this isn't a cinnamon. But then again I have to add that I don't have much experience with green birds. Of the 50 plus birds I have only 5 are of the green series.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Bridget! Your remark on the pied spot made me go back to my breeding notes - the lutino hen might also be split RP - it was carried as hidden gene for a couple of generations. Very interesting.
Next time I want to pair this lutino with a RP - jusyt to make sure, because the RP gene could also come from the **** - I don't know much about him - except what I've learned from a previous pairing - he's split cinnamon.
Thanks again!

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Both parents would have to be split to recessive pied to get a recessive pies baby. I can't wait to see her all feathered up. I love yellow series cinnamons.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
What a gorgeous baby! :loveeyes: Its wings do appear to be cinnamon, but I think they're normal rather than spangle.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The baby isn't (I don't think so) a RP. I have had babies in the past - in fact I have one now -where 1 parent is a RP and the baby has that pied mark as an indication that carries the RP gene. I know that it isn't 100% foolprove.
Susan, I'm going to take another pic this afternoon; then we can have a look again.
BTW this is a "cross" between a show type (dad) and a pet type. Hopefully the baby is going to a little bigger than the pet type.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once again I wish I could be organized like Lindsey or you, Erin. In my breeding notes I wrote that the dad of the lutino was a violet, but I went through some photos and guess what? The violet wasn't the dad. The Lutino was one of my first cage bred baby. Dad was a ... YF Cobalt CFP!!! Mother was a Green RP. That chance the whole scene! Maybe the baby is a CFP. I'm goging to upload a pic of the baby later tonight. Thanks, Erin.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the promised pic: cin.jpg Think it is a spangle, but now I'm not sure it is a cinnamon.
How will a Spangle CFP look like? Who have pics of that combination?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I don't have any spangles and have never seen any spangle babies at this age, so I will be no help. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yep that's a spangle. I still don't think you have a cinnamon. The colors would be more mute and the pattern looks dark grey not light brown. It does look like the chick may have a couple clear or lighter feathers on it's wings along with the pied spot on it's head. We will have to see what type of pied if any shows when the chick gets older.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm starting to agree that it isn't a cinnamon. The pied spot bothers me. A couple of my other spangles also have this spot and others don't. I'm busy looking at their genetics and most of them I can trace the RP gene, but in this baby it can be the RP gene as well as the CFP gene.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, it's not a cinnamon. I think it might be a greygreen, because the cheeck patches are a bluish - greyish colour. It's not violet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.