Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Can someone help me properly identify/ confirm the mutations of my sweet babies?
Bird Parrot Beak Feather Bird supply

Bird Hand Blue Cockatiel Parrot

Bird Parrot Pet supply Organism Gesture

also i have read few things that suggest that the normal ways to estimate age may not apply to my specific mutations, can someone confirm or deny this for me?

also i have read few things that suggest that the normal ways to estimate age may not apply to my specific mutations, can someone confirm or deny this for me?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
The bird with the baby bars still on her head would be under 4 months, the other bird I cannot determine, are you referring to estimating age based on iris rings? StarlingWings will be able to tell you their specific mutations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have read some information that suggests that recessive pied and and ino types do not get iris rings and that recessive pieds dont lose their bars. I am unsure if this is true or not and im not sure that my blue and white is recessive pied but that is my current thought

·
Super Moderator
18,902 Posts
Your girls are adorable; as mentioned the yellow is a creamino budgie and she will develop irises as she gets older. The other girl is a cobalt recessive budgie budgie and she will not develop irises as she gets older.

In males, ino budgies and recessive pied budgies keep their immature cere color (pink rather than blue) but for females it's the same either way :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your girls are adorable; as mentioned the yellow is a creamino budgie and she will develop irises as she gets older. The other girl is a cobalt recessive budgie budgie and she will not develop irises as she gets older.

In males, ino budgies and recessive pied budgies keep their immature cere color (pink rather than blue) but for females it's the same either way :D
So the recessive pied I can estimate age when she loses her bars and with the creamino with the iris rings? Also is there a way to know which yelloface gene she has?

·
Super Moderator
18,902 Posts
Well it's actually only possible to estimate age when they're young due to the presence of the baby bars. Since the pied girl still has her bars and the creamino has not gotten her irises yet, they're both under 7-8 months. The exact time that budgies gain their irises/moult out their bars can vary within a period of several months and it's different for each bird.

Generally speaking a creamino results from suffusion of the yellow into the pure white body feathers caused by an Ino gene. The level of suffusion can comment on what type of yellow face it is. However, most yellow face birds do not obtain their full degree of suffusion until they have completed their adult moults. At the moment if I had to hazard a guess I'd say from the photos she appears type I but it's very subjective as its hard to tell with the particular lighting and angles. If you have a photo of her taken in natural light that would help, but most likely it will become obvious as she gets older.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts