Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've found some pictures with budgies and i'm not sure about their mutations.
Can you confirm/ correct me?

1. is she a coal face?
2. what about the second one? Is it normal to be so black? maybe easley clearbody? that will work with the black, but he's no clearbody.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
3. the next one i believe i've already post it, but i didn't get a clear answer: rainbow? why is his chest like that? i know that he is spangle too, so not a true rainbow, but what?

4. texas/ easley clear body? ore some kind of pied? his chest is white/blue, like chess.

5. what kind of pied? could be frosted pied?

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, maybe i will get some other answers.

Coal face is like blackface, but only on the face, not the entire body. I don't know if she is a coalface, or just a heavily marked opaline, but she is very interesting. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
And the last one....

greywing mauve??
That one looks like a dilute mauve.

Blackface died out in the original flock, but melanistic mutations crop up every now and then in flocks. I don't think any have been stabilized or the genetics worked out. Coalface was used to describe one melanistic mutation, but I don't believe it's been stabilized or understood, and it's not an official mutation recognized at shows.

The other mutations you have, I also don't think they've been stabilized. They could be novel mutations. There is a lot about budgie genetics that is not known, and every mutation started as a trait that popped up out of nowhere in an individual. This is how species evolve. One day even a red budgie might appear!

The two mottled ones might be opaline frosted pieds, though frosted pieds I believe have white feathers throughout their wings too. Can't really tell with those pics.

The last looks like an opaline gray texas clearbody, from what I understand of that mutation. Beautiful bird!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your answer.

I like unusual looking budgies and always try to see if i understand what they are.

Yeah, the last one is realy nice.. i would love one.

But what abaout the last one from my first post? The green one with so dark wings. Is it normal for a green budgie or is it special? I'm very ingtrigued about him.

·
Registered
428 Posts
But what abaout the last one from my first post? The green one with so dark wings. Is it normal for a green budgie or is it special? I'm very ingtrigued about him.
He's got an unusually heavy barring. He doesn't look like the original coalface. I'd guess he's a novel mutation but I'm certainly not an expert on rare budgie mutations.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
1/ I don't think she is a coal face. She looks like an opaline recessive pied. Occasionally a young opaline will have heavy face markings that disappear at maturity. Here's a "before and after' picture of one of my opalines

2/ I agree that this bird's markings are unusually dark but the shade of marking on normals do vary considerably

3/ He is a yellow face opaline spangle (not a rainbow). The barring on his chest is very interesting but this type of barring usually disappears after the first moult. It is not uncommon to see light barring on the chests of chicks but this bird has more than most of the ones I've seen

4 & 5/ they could be easley clearbodys or they could be like some of my opalines that have lost body colour. Here's some "before & After" pictures of 3 of my opalines that have faded

6/ Just looks like a dilute to me

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,156 Posts
I lurve the black stripey budgies - "Blackface budgies - bred in the Netherlands. They were apparently around in the 90's, but died out. :(

So what do/did they look like? The blackface budgie has strong dark barring covering its entire head and face, even as an adult. It also has barring down its chest and abdomen, a feature which is unique amonst varieties.

·
Registered
428 Posts
1/ I don't think she is a coal face. She looks like an opaline recessive pied. Occasionally a young opaline will have heavy face markings that disappear at maturity. Here's a "before and after' picture of one of my opalines

4 & 5/ they could be easley clearbodys or they could be like some of my opalines that have lost body colour. Here's some "before & After" pictures of 3 of my opalines that have faded
Opalines sure have interesting variations! I knew about the flecking, but I hadn't heard of faded opalines before. I love opalines. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.