Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More questions! But first pictures...

Tango is also on way bottom. Yellow face cobalt violet spangle. 1/2 english?

Bella. Grey violet spangle base color skyblue.

Tyrus skyblue normal with violet.

New female English - one parent was violet and one was sky blue (She has white spot on back of head so pied? Also her 'black' feathers are actually a dark brown?)

New male English - one parent was a yellowface blue? unsure which and other parent is to very bottom of this post, last three photos! Sorry for quality, only had phone with me when I picked her up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm sorry this is so long and hope it's not too confusing?

1) I want to know do you think Tango is a large American or 1/2 English? Also is there any reason I should not be breeding birds that aren't full breed? Or breeding 1/2 to full, this will mess up the two breeds eventually?

2) Please tell me mutations of new male and new female.

3) I would like one more female English to even things out and use as a breeder with the three above full English. I love spangle opalines, also hoping to breed df violets. Any suggestions?

4) The new female kinda holds her wings down a bit, maybe I shouldn't even be considering using her because the chicks will inherit this. Your opinion please!

5) Also Tyrus has dark navy tail feathers so he would be cobalt violet and new female has confusing colors on tail kinda turq but more navy ?? Also female seems to have the scaling.

I know this is really long, but I appreciate it a ton!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
# 1 Tango does look like he is part English. I have to say he is one of the most beautiful budgies I have ever seen. There is nothing wrong with mixing American and English. But I would try not to mix the two if your selling each breed for different prices. I wouldn't charge the same price for a 100% english as I would a 50% english. I would sell the 50% english for the same price as a American.

# 2 I would say the female is a sky blue clear flight possibly with a violet factor. How old is she? The reason I ask is I had a couple chicks that had dark brown instead of black until their first molt. If she is an older bird I would say she is a cinnamon. Your male is an opaline sky blue yellow face type two he might have a grey factor.

# 3 I would look for a spangle sky blue SF or SD hen. If you want opaline chicks you would need a opaline ****. The opaline gene is sexlinked.

# 4 I'm not sure what you mean by the way she holds her wing.... maybe try photos of describing her wing in more detail.

# 5 The violet birds I have seen all have some shade of violet tails. I'm not sure what color SF violets have. What color scaling does your female have?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
# 1 Tango does look like he is part English. I have to say he is one of the most beautiful budgies I have ever seen. There is nothing wrong with mixing American and English. But I would try not to mix the two if your selling each breed for different prices. I wouldn't charge the same price for a 100% english as I would a 50% english. I would sell the 50% english for the same price as a American.

Ok thank you.

# 2 I would say the female is a sky blue clear flight possibly with a violet factor. How old is she? The reason I ask is I had a couple chicks that had dark brown instead of black until their first molt. If she is an older bird I would say she is a cinnamon. Your male is an opaline sky blue yellow face type two he might have a grey factor.

She is 8 months old. She's actually darker in person than in that photo. Hmm grey huh, never woulda guessed!

# 3 I would look for a spangle sky blue SF or SD hen. If you want opaline chicks you would need a opaline ****. The opaline gene is sexlinked.

o you mean spangle sky blue single factor of double factor violet. With the above birds is there possibility of df violet?

# 4 I'm not sure what you mean by the way she holds her wing.... maybe try photos of describing her wing in more detail.

ok.

# 5 The violet birds I have seen all have some shade of violet tails. I'm not sure what color SF violets have. What color scaling does your female have?
She has a bit of white on the tips of her feathers. I did some research, and posted what I found. I'll have to compare her tail to what I found tomarrow.

But really it seems the key to figuring out what you have (as far as violet sky violet cobalt) is in the tail. If you go by the info I found which was an arcticle recommended by another breeder here.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
1) I want to know do you think Tango is a large American or 1/2 English? Also is there any reason I should not be breeding birds that aren't full breed? Or breeding 1/2 to full, this will mess up the two breeds eventually?
They are not a different breed, they have just been selectively bred to enhance 'Show Points'. If you are breeding birds for showing pet types will slow down your progress

Your new female is a sky blue clearflight pied
Your new male (looks female) is a type 2 yellow face opaline
Both birds appear to have feather problems

3) I would like one more female English to even things out and use as a breeder with the three above full English. I love spangle opalines, also hoping to breed df violets. Any suggestions? Breed the birds that you like, not other people's choices

4) The new female kinda holds her wings down a bit, maybe I shouldn't even be considering using her because the chicks will inherit this. Your opinion please!
Any faults can be inherited but not all the offspring will show the fault

5) Also Tyrus has dark navy tail feathers so he would be cobalt violet and new female has confusing colors on tail kinda turq but more navy ?? Also female seems to have the scaling. Feather scaling is only an indication of shade it is not always reliable

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They are not a different breed, they have just been selectively bred to enhance 'Show Points'. If you are breeding birds for showing pet types will slow down your progress
I realize this, I was only asking because I don't want to be a contributing factor to the two being intertwined again. If that makes scense.

Your new female is a sky blue clearflight pied
Your new male (looks female) is a type 2 yellow face opaline
Both birds appear to have feather problems
I was kinda wondering, I took the male to the vet and she said it was infection/nutritional and slow feather growth. I'm really hoping she's right. The female hangs her wings a bit, but still flies. Would it help to post more pics? Also the above pics are with flash, on some w/o flash you thought male.?

3) I would like one more female English to even things out and use as a breeder with the three above full English. I love spangle opalines, also hoping to breed df violets. Any suggestions? Breed the birds that you like, not other people's choices
I was just wondering mostly how to get some df violets, and suggestions.

Any faults can be inherited but not all the offspring will show the fault

5) Also Tyrus has dark navy tail feathers so he would be cobalt violet and new female has confusing colors on tail kinda turq but more navy ?? Also female seems to have the scaling. Feather scaling is only an indication of shade it is not always reliable
Oh that's good to know! Think I'll forget about it to avoid confusion!

Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.