Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always thought that my boy Keiko was a regular dark green dominant pied. But he doesn't have a blue cere, it has been light purple for all the years that I've had him. After looking at other pictures of dark green dominant pieds, many if not most of them have the normal male blue cere. Could Keiko be a different mutation than I thought, or did his cere just not change normally (if so, what might cause this?)?

His mother was a yellow based recessive pied, and his father was a cobalt dominant pied (I think). Keiko was bred with my regular sky blue female Zu, and they had a cobalt clearflight pied, regular green chick, and a yellow based dominant pied. Not sure if any of that matters though!

Here's a few pictures of him:

First two are without flash, colors true.

Keiko and his son, Savvy, with flash.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
He sure is a great looking bird. I think that it may just simply be that the mother was a recessive pied and the males on that side sure do not get the traditional blue Ceres of the common budgies. I am not an expert on genetics of these birds but I do know that my bird (which I believe is a recessive pied) has a purple cere indicating that he is a male and maybe your bird inherited this feature from the mother. I will say that your bird Keiko is a very impressive looking bird. Here is a picture of my bird.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think Keiko is opaline along with being dominant pied . Though I have no idea why his cere is differently coloured :p .

·
Registered
694 Posts
He definitely isn't a recessive pied, since he has iris rings. I'm curious for one of the pro's to come along, I can't think why he has a purple cere.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your bird is gorgeous, CU Buffs!

Vinay, I did forget opaline! His parents were opaline, and Keiko's daughters are opaline as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
All of my dominant pied males have purple ceres too, so I'm sure it isn't a problem. :) I'm not too good at spotting these, but is there a possibility your budgie could be a combination pied? If his father was split for r. pied, your budgie could be dominant and recessive pied at the same time (which would explain why he has iris rings and a purple cere). But I guess even being split for r. pied has ways of showing itself, so that could be the cause too. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Your's looks a lot like my recessive pied and same purple cere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.