1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
these are the pairs!!
1) Cobalt opaline **** & Dark green pied cinnamon hen
2) Sky blue recessive pied **** & Sky blue cinnamon hen
3) Dark green **** & Violetsky hen

what would i get from each pair??
how can you tell the difference between a violetsky & sky blue budgie & a violetcobalt & cobalt budgie?!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Hi,
these are the pairs!!

what would i get from each pair??
how can you tell the difference between a violetsky & sky blue budgie & a violetcobalt & cobalt budgie?!
From what I understand a skyblue has a tourquise tail and a cobalt has a navy blue tail. If you see violet anywhere on the bird it is a violet carrier. I will let others go further as it can be confusing and I don't want to confuse you! :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Okay, assuming none of the birds are split for anything, you'd get:
#1: 50% Dark Green and 50% Olive split for blue, half will be Pied and all females will be Opaline. All males split for Opaline and Cinnamon. You don't mention if it is Recessive Pied or a dominant Pied, so if it is Recessive you will get no pied babies but all will be split for it.

#2: 100% Skyblues, all males split for Cinnamon and all babaies split for Recessive Pied. All normals.

#3: 50% Dark Greens and 50% Light Greens split for blue, half of which will be SF Violet. All normals.

I'll let the experts tell you about Violet, I'm still learning about it too!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Assuming the pied type is recessive. If the hen is not split for blue and the **** is not split for cinnamon or recessive pied you'll get:
Normal green males split for recessive pied, opaline & cinnamon
Opaline green females split for recessive pied
As both birds have 1 dark factor you should get all 3 shades of green

If the **** is not split for cinnamon & the hen is not split for recessive pied you'll get all normal sky blues. They will all be split for recessive pied and the males will be split for cinnamon

If the **** is not split for blue the chicks will be:
50% light green
50% dark green
Half of them will have a violet factor but it is very difficult for an inexperienced breeder to see
If the **** is split for blue you'll get
25% light green
25% dark green
12.5% sky blue
12.5% sky blue violet
12.5% cobalt
12.5% cobalt violet

With all predictions when other genes the birds may have are unknown you can always expect some surprises

Although there are lot of theories on ways to distinguish violets experience and breeding records are the most accurate. A single factor violet sky is often mistaken for a light cobalt. A double factor violet sky looks like a single factor violet cobalt. A violet cobalt is usually obviously violet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.