Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I called my breeder and asked about their mutations. Mike is violet split to violet and Mollie is violet split back to blue and violet and is a lace wing. They are settling in well, but very quiet. Mollie has done a few summersaults and they are sitting together on different perches and I've seen them eat a little. I think maybe it is too quiet here in my home, they are used to a very noisy Bird shop. I hope they will perk up soon.

I'm not sure what all that means about the mutations, but that was all she would tell me. Oh and another thing, I noticed no leg bands on them, she told me she does not put them on her birds. I thought that you were supposed to do this by law, am I wrong about that?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi Patricia,

I can't help you on the banding law as I'm in the UK but just wanted to say how lovely it is that Mollie and Mike are settling in so well. You could play them some music if you think the house is too quiet; it's a good idea as in the wild silence usually means there is a predator about, and you may even find they have a preference for different kinds of music :).

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Today I called my breeder and asked about their mutations. Mike is violet split to violet and Mollie is violet split back to blue and violet and is a lace wing.
Hi Patricia
These terms are not expressed correctly. Violet is a colour adding factor that comes in double or single factor and as it is a dominant mutation it cannot be carried as split. The first one could be double factor violet and the second one single factor violet. A lacewing budgie has red eyes, clear white or yellow body and cinnamon wing markings

I just looked at their pictures. Mike is a normal cobalt violet & Mollie is a greywing. Both very beautiful

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HUH? Why would she tell me this other spiel if it is not right? Thank you Nev90 for your input. This breeder here is considered the best here in NC, I find it strange that she would tell me such bad info. Wish I knew more. So how would you write Mike and Mollie's mutation?
She also told me she thinks Mollie is red eyed. I can't tell.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

i agree with nev. you should be able to see if mollie has red eyes, it will be quite obvious when compared to mike.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I can't tell is I have MS and my eyesight is very dim. I was blind for a few years and got my eyesight back, but it is not as good as it was.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hi Patricia!

If writing what their mutation is, just copy and paste what Nev said, Mike = normal cobalt violet. Mollie is a greywing. That is how you would word it. Not sure why you're breeder would tell you the wrong information, maybe just un-educated or dishonest.

Mike and Mollie are absolutely gorgeous though! Both of them have black eyes :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.