Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! I can't believe that this is my 1000th post! I absolutely love this community and only wish that I had more time to hang out and read. Talk Budgies users have been so helpful during these first months with Sammy - from his crop infection to yeast infection to mega bacterias to heavy metal poisoning - and I would not have found such a great avian vet without your support!

:clap: Thank you to all my Talk Budgie friends for such a great experience :clap:

I have enjoyed this community so much that I am going to become a Supporter, and I hope that lots of others will as well! :budgie:

Today is also Sammy's 10-month hatchday! He will be a year old on April 13! And what a present he got - a brand new Montana cage and a photo shoot! :laugh:

Here are a few pictures of Sammy's new cage. He can't have anything with metal (stainless steel is ok) so his toys are pretty much all plastic, paper, leather or wooden. He also needs padded perches at the moment. :)

"Some days, I feel like I'm doing 20 to life!"

"Finally! I get to come out and explore!"

"Aren't I one handsome bird?"

And here's our schnauzer, Watson, after being trapped in the hallway while Sammy was playing:

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts
Wow!! Congratulations on your 1000th post, Bethany :hug:

How totally cool that it's taking place on Sammy's 10 month anniversary. :D

Sammy has been through a lot but he is sure one very handsome and much loved little fellow. I'm sure he's going to love his new mansion and he's very very fortunate to have such a tremendously loving Momma as you.

I'm looking forward to your next 1000!​

·
Banned
0 Posts
Congratulations Bethany on your 1000th post. My Sammy sends a hello to your Sammy. BTW, I am interested in more information on your Sammy's crop infection as I think it might be possible that Budgie is having that issue in addition to over-eating. Is there a previous thread you could point me to? If not, could you describe what his issues were and how they were mitigated?

Mark:budgie:x3

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Matt and Deb! Deb, your beautiful post made me so happy! :D

Mark, Sammy's crop infection was the first of his several health issues. Very suddenly, he started vomiting and got very, very sleepy and puffed up. The avian vet did a crop smear with a Q-tip and found that he had an excess of bacteria. He was treated with antibiotics and a liver protector, since his liver was swollen on an x-ray. The vet didn't indicate that overfeeding could have been the cause, but Sammy is quite the little glutton (weighing in at 41g!). Our avian vet has recommended a permanent switch to pellets to avoid future problems, and so far it's going really well. Of course, we gave him both seeds and pellets to ease his transition into his new cage, but in a few days, we'll go back to the transitioning. Good luck with Budgie! I think that by controlling his eating environment, you'll be able to cut back on his overeating behaviors.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Awesome...Congrat's Bethany, look forward to seeing thousand's more from you. Sammy is one handsome and healthy looking boy, and now he is properly spoiled too....;)

Your little Watson is a handsome looking fellow too, and I think both he and Sammy are fortunate to be under your care...:)

Reactions: PrincipePio

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Congrats on reaching 1000 posts and on your Sammy's 10 months milestone! :party3: He's such a cute and handsome fellow!
The flock of 14 and I are also having a little celebration here, because it makes 4 months today since I got my latest budgie girl, Goldilocks. :b-day:
They are all feasting (and some bathing) on spinach, which is Goldilocks favourite veggie treat.

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Randy and aluz! Yes, they are both properly spoiled! But it was very funny to hear Watson cry last night when he saw the cage put together for the first time. It was like he was saying "You get Sammy that and all I get is a stupid rubber ball with some flashing lights in it? Aw, mom!" :laugh:

Congrats on your celebration, aluz! I hope that they enjoy the spinach! Sammy hates the stuff but will get some greens tomorrow ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.