Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5-month old budgie is very weak because she has colds for 2 days now. She’s trying to vomit the mucus stuck in her mouth. She tried flying but I think she’s weak because she’s flying very low. I’m still trying to give her water with doxycycline this morning but I guess she despises water with infused medicine. She sleeps all day but she’s still trying to perch and fly whenever she can.

We don’t have any available avian vet nearby. The one in the city cannot be reached through the phone or email. Contacting an avian vet is very hard I’ve tried calling every number I found on the internet but to NO AVAIL. Please don’t tell me to contact an avian vet asap because this is already next to impossible. I’ve tried my best and even told them all I’m willing to pay whatever rates they would ask just to save my baby.

I’m begging you to please share your experiences about your pet bird having colds and how you treated it. I’m gaining insights that I could possibly do and to make me feel better, at least.

Please, I’ve tried to avail avian vet services but to no avail so if you could please just share you experience regarding this matter. I don’t want my budgie to go. She’s super weak I don’t know what to do :cry::cry::cry:

Please help me. Any insight (what medicine did you administer, how many days before your budgie become well, should I force feed her, etc.) will be a very big help.

Please help me.

Thank you.

This is her as of the moment.

Bird Green Beak Terrestrial plant Natural material

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 5-month old budgie is very weak because she has colds for 2 days now. She’s trying to vomit the mucus stuck in her mouth. She tried flying but I think she’s weak because she’s flying very low. I’m still trying to give her water with doxycycline this morning but I guess she despises water with infused medicine. She sleeps all day but she’s still trying to perch and fly whenever she can.

We don’t have any available avian vet nearby. The one in the city cannot be reached through the phone or email. Contacting an avian vet is very hard I’ve tried calling every number I found on the internet but to NO AVAIL. Please don’t tell me to contact an avian vet asap because this is already next to impossible. I’ve tried my best and even told them all I’m willing to pay whatever rates they would ask just to save my baby.

I’m begging you to please share your experiences about your pet bird having colds and how you treated it. I’m gaining insights that I could possibly do and to make me feel better, at least.

Please, I’ve tried to avail avian vet services but to no avail so if you could please just share you experience regarding this matter. I don’t want my budgie to go. She’s super weak I don’t know what to do :cry::cry::cry:

Please help me. Any insight (what medicine did you administer, how many days before your budgie become well, should I force feed her, etc.) will be a very big help.

Please help me.

Thank you.

This is her as of the moment.

View attachment 258301
Keep her warm, don’t let the room you have her in get cold. As a nurse I have used humidification on sick babes, adults and rescue animals to help loosen phlegm and secretions from severe colds / chest infection. Move her cage into the bath room and run the hot shower to get the room steamy, keep her in the steam for around 20 minutes and then move her somewhere warm and dry. If the steam helps do it every 4 hours.
Do you have any elekctrolyte drinks? The sort used to help recover from heavy exercise or a severe tummy upset? They are usually sweet with some glucose and contain mineral salts she may benefit from as well as water. See if she will drink a little of those from a teaspoon or at least offer her clean water.
Above all, keep her warm and keep trying to contact a vet, if not an avian try to find one who advertises interest in exotic animals - they often have a better understanding of birds than ordinary small animal vets.
I’ll be thinking of you and hoping your little one improves.

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
If you can get Pedialyte you can use that as an electrolyte solution for her. If there are any zoos near you contact them and ask if they can refer you to a vet that might be able to help your bird, all zoos should have a vet that takes care of the zoo animals and might be willing to help.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Keep her warm.
If you don't have Pedialyte then you can use the recipe in the link below:

Guardian Angel//Pedialyte//Pedialyte Recipe

Use a warm mist humidifier for her and if you have 100% eucalyptus oil, put a couple of drops into the humidifier.
If you don't have a humidifier, then tent a sheet over her cage and put a kettle or pot of boiling water outside the cage inside the tented sheet to make a steam hut for her.
Again, if you have the 100% pure eucalyptus oil, put a couple of drops in the water to help clear her respiratory system.

As Cody indicated, please try to contact a Wildlife Refuge Center and/or a Zoo for assistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your suggestion. I'm trying to force feed her now because she's not really eating 😔 her droppings have also turned into black/dark brown 😔

This may be her last hours. I still believe in miracles tho! Please please please pray for her fast recovery. I still believe that God would not let her go this early ❤😊

Keep the suggestions coming, please. And your bird's story whenever they are sick.

Again, please help us pray for her! I'll keep you all updated 😊

Keep her warm, don’t let the room you have her in get cold. As a nurse I have used humidification on sick babes, adults and rescue animals to help loosen phlegm and secretions from severe colds / chest infection. Move her cage into the bath room and run the hot shower to get the room steamy, keep her in the steam for around 20 minutes and then move her somewhere warm and dry. If the steam helps do it every 4 hours.
Do you have any elekctrolyte drinks? The sort used to help recover from heavy exercise or a severe tummy upset? They are usually sweet with some glucose and contain mineral salts she may benefit from as well as water. See if she will drink a little of those from a teaspoon or at least offer her clean water.
Above all, keep her warm and keep trying to contact a vet, if not an avian try to find one who advertises interest in exotic animals - they often have a better understanding of birds than ordinary small animal vets.
I’ll be thinking of you and hoping your little one improves.
I mixed a commercial powder electrolyte + amino acid with her water this morning. She was able to take 2 drops or so 🙏

Thank you for your prayers!

Sadly, my little girl passed away today 😔.

Please continue praying for us and our 2 other birds mourning for her loss 😔

Thank you!

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
I'm very sorry for the loss of your darling little budgie. 💜💜

I'll lend you,
for a little while, a bird of mine, He said.
For you to love while she lives,
and mourn when she is dead.

It may be two or seven months, or maybe only three
But will you, till I call him back, take care of her for me?
She'll bring her charms to gladden you, and shall her stay be brief,
You'll have her lovely memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise she will stay, as all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught down there I want this bird to learn.

I've looked the whole world over in my search for teachers true,
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you.
Now will you give her all your love - not think this labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call, to take her back again.
I fancied that I heard them say, 'Dear Lord, thy will be done.'
For all the joy this bird shall bring, the risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shower her with tenderness and love her while we may,
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.

And should the angels call for her much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand.

Modified from poem by Edgar A. Guest

Grieving

Grief is a very personal experience and each individual grieves in their own unique way.
Striving to honor aging and death as a part of the cycle of life may not diminish the pain and sorrow we feel when our loved one is no longer with us, yet it can help us accept that birth, life, and death is the way of all creation.

I believe during times of grief it is important to focus on the positives of the time spent with the beloved person or pet who has moved on in their journey.

Concentrating on gratitude for the blessings given through whatever amount of time one had with their loved one turns emotions away from feeling sorrow for one's self and brings the focus on the joys of the memories we shared. Although we miss having that person/pet as part of our day to day existence, and the time we had always seems too brief, giving thanks for the time we were given is the first step in healing the pain and sorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm very sorry for the loss of your darling little budgie. 💜💜

I'll lend you,
for a little while, a bird of mine, He said.
For you to love while she lives,
and mourn when she is dead.

It may be two or seven months, or maybe only three
But will you, till I call him back, take care of her for me?
She'll bring her charms to gladden you, and shall her stay be brief,
You'll have her lovely memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise she will stay, as all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught down there I want this bird to learn.

I've looked the whole world over in my search for teachers true,
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you.
Now will you give her all your love - not think this labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call, to take her back again.
I fancied that I heard them say, 'Dear Lord, thy will be done.'
For all the joy this bird shall bring, the risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shower her with tenderness and love her while we may,
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.

And should the angels call for her much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand.

Modified from poem by Edgar A. Guest

Grieving

Grief is a very personal experience and each individual grieves in their own unique way.
Striving to honor aging and death as a part of the cycle of life may not diminish the pain and sorrow we feel when our loved one is no longer with us, yet it can help us accept that birth, life, and death is the way of all creation.

I believe during times of grief it is important to focus on the positives of the time spent with the beloved person or pet who has moved on in their journey.

Concentrating on gratitude for the blessings given through whatever amount of time one had with their loved one turns emotions away from feeling sorrow for one's self and brings the focus on the joys of the memories we shared. Although we miss having that person/pet as part of our day to day existence, and the time we had always seems too brief, giving thanks for the time we were given is the first step in healing the pain and sorrow.
Thank you for this poem. It helped me somehow to stop crying about her passing.

I’m still hurting. But this will pass I know. I miss my baby so much. I still believe we would meet and play again someday.

Right now I’m focusing on my 2 other birds. Luckily, they are not bothered being incomplete because we bond with them a lot now. 🥰

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
I'm glad the poem helped you a bit. It is normal for you to miss her and to grieve but in time you'll smile more as you remember the good times.
I'm glad you have your other birds to focus on.

I'm closing this thread now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.