Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I post pictures of the naturally paired budgies that are nesting, or have already hatched babies can people help me figure out their babies mutations/ colours ? not that great with mutations. I hope you can help me and that u will be getting more then just green and yellow babies. And I hope there photos work for you :)

Pair one: Lucy (White Female) Homer (Olive Green Male)
baby status: hatching

Pair two: Dawn (Yellowfce Blue Female) Guido ( White Male)
Baby status: eggs. Hatching within next 10 days.

Pair three: Stitch (Yellow Female) Paulie (Grey Male)
Baby status: eggs.

Pair four: Lilo (yellow female) Finney (bright green male)
Baby status: eggs

Pair five: Violet (violet female) Napoleon (yellow male)
Baby Status: still in process of laying eggs

Violet looks blue in this photo, but trust me she is violet.

Last pair six: Shazza (blue cobalt) and Barry (normal green)
Baby status: laying

http:\\www.cmtwebdesign.co.uk/images/budgies/bsiggy.jpg

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Since you are colony breeding it is impossible to know what the outcomes will be for each hen. Once they hatch and feather up we can try to help you figure out who came from who depending in the males in your aviary, but a hen will and more often than not does mate with 2 or more males when in that setting so the outcomes from a specific pair can not really be expected.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a couple who have been around lol but most have only mated with the one budgie. As far as I have seen. Say if Voilet and Napoleon have only mated with each other, would their babies be yellow or purple? Or combination? All I know is that green is the wild therefore dominant colour

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
If those two produced chicks, they'd all be normal as far as markings unless violet is split for recessive pied or they are both split for something else (like greywing). Violet has one dark factor (since she is cobalt). I'm gonna go with what you are saying and assume Napoleon is light green (he kinda looks like e could be a YF blue series bird from this photo to me). If Napoleon is split to blue then you can expect sky blues, cobalts, light greens and dark greens perhaps with violet factor. But as Lindsey stated, it's hard to predict baby outcomes with colony breeding. Good luck to you.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
There really is very little point in trying to predict the outcome from these pairs when you are colony breeding because the hens will probably mate with more than one **** bird. Just because a pair are bonded and only one **** helps with rearing the chicks does not mean that he is the natural father of all the chicks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
3,676 Posts
I'll give you an idea of what you could expect if there were no extra-marital relationships

Pair one: Lucy (White Female) Homer (Olive Green Male)
baby status: hatching

Lucy is a recessive pied sky blue & Homer is a normal grey green
If Homer is not split for blue or recessive pied you would get
50% green
50% grey green

Pair two: Dawn (Yellowfce Blue Female) Guido ( White Male)
Baby status: eggs. Hatching within next 10 days.

Dawn is a yellow face sky blue & Guido is a recessive pied sky blue
If Dawn is not split for recessive pied you'd get
50% normal sky blue
50% yellow face sky blue

Pair three: Stitch (Yellow Female) Paulie (Grey Male)
Baby status: eggs.

Stitch is a dominant pied green & Paulie is an opaline grey
If Stitch is not split for blue you'd get:
12.5% opaline green females
12.5% opaline grey green females
12.5% opaline dominant pied green females
12.5% opaline dominant pied grey green females
12.5% normal green males
12.5% grey green males
12.5% dominant pied green males
12.5% dominant pied grey green males

Pair four: Lilo (yellow female) Finney (bright green male)
Baby status: eggs

Lilo is a recessive pied green & Finney is a normal light green (nice bird)
If they are not slit for anything expect
100% normal green

Pair five: Violet (violet female) Napoleon (yellow male)
Baby Status: still in process of laying eggs

Violet is a normal violet & Napoleon looks like a golden face recessive pied but I can't be sure without a better photo
If Violet is not split for recessive pied you can expect:
25% normal blue
25% normal violet
25% golden face blue
25% golden face violet
(The blue and the violet will be in two shades)

Last pair six: Shazza (blue cobalt) and Barry (normal green)
Baby status: laying

If Barry is not split for blue the chicks will be:
100% normal green

With all of these pairs you can expect some surprises because any of the birds could have hidden genes that could effect the chicks mutations

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks nev 90 for giving me a general idea of what to expect. I hope to get some surprises otherwise I'm going to expect alot of greens!! Will I have a chance of getting a grey? Which hen would I be best breeding Paulie with to get some greys?

. Ps Lilo and stitch are sisters and their brothers were white?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Grey is dominant to normal, so Paulie can go with anyone and you should get greys. Also, it may be the photo, but Homer looks like a grey green to me instead of olive. If so, he should give you greys.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay thanks! So I could get greys if he has babies with stitch? Becasue stitch is yellow based if the babies are grey they will look grey green? Or do i have a chance of getting a white based baby therefore a grey one? wouldn't know if homer is olive or grey green lol. I just thought he was olive. Thanks :)

·
3,676 Posts
Thanks nev 90 for giving me a general idea of what to expect. I hope to get some surprises otherwise I'm going to expect alot of greens!! Will I have a chance of getting a grey? Which hen would I be best breeding Paulie with to get some greys?

. Ps Lilo and stitch are sisters and their brothers were white?
Lilo and stitch are probably split for blue if their brothers were white pieds. If Stitch is split for blue she would be expected to produce some grey chicks mated to Paulie. Also if Homer is split for blue he will produce some grey chicks if he is mated to any blue based hen.
The best hen to pair with Paulie to produce grey chicks would be Shazza because they would be expected to produce 50% grey & 50% blue chicks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your help. :) Their brothers are pictured on the right hand basket in my signature. They also had another brother who was yellow like them. But I gave him away to the wrong person, and I found out he died. Poor fella :(

I will keep everyone updated in my babies as they hatch in the breeding journals! :)

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Sorry. I didn't realize you meant a grey white based budgie. I just thought you meant a grey factored bird. :) In any way, Nev is right. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.