Talk Budgies Forums banner

My Band of Robbers Sparrows (ongoing picture thread)

2K views 32 replies 5 participants last post by  FaeryBee 
#1 ·
Dear all,

This post is supposed to be a thread with pictures of my budgies. I don't post regularly, but still try to actively read along here and write the one or other contribution, as I really enjoy the exchange with other budgie lovers.

In the coming posts I would like to introduce each of my budgies so far and tell something about them.

Thank you for reading and see you soon,
Irene

#2 · (Edited)
Züsi

My first budgie ever, Züsi. I got her as a present from my primary school teacher. The teacher used to take her budgies to school every now and then so that we could look at them and marvel at them. My twin brother and I were very enthusiastic about them and so the teacher asked us if we would be interested in a young budgie. Of course we were, and shortly afterwards Züsi moved in with us. I actually wanted to buy a second budgie straight away, but my mother was against it at the time. After a year, however, we got her a partner called Cäsi. Cäsi unfortunately died only after about a year. Unfortunately, I have almost no photos of Cäsi and Züsi together, because at that time we didn't have mobile phones or digital camerasa but only a camera with film. Maybe I'll find an old developed photo of the two of them in the near future. I'll tell you more about him later. After Cäsi we bought Züsi Päuli. A great love affair began. In that year, when she lived alone, she got very used to us and became very tame. I still remember very well when I used to lie in bed in the morning and call for Züsi. She came flying straight in and sat on my chest because she really liked the slow up and down. Often she would fall asleep and even today I can feel her warm feet on my chest. Or remember how she used to cling to my glasses or how I used to carry her around the old house on a little swing.

Züsi became less affectionate when Cäsi came along, but that never really bothered us because we knew that she was better off with a companion. Unfortunately, she was very unwell for a while at the age of six and we went to a vet with no experience of birds who could not treat her properly. After about half a year we finally found a bird expert who prescribed a treatment, but she never really got well again. To make matters worse, she broke her wing in a fall and was only a shadow of her former self. We had to make the heartbreaking decision to let her go. Whether it was really necessary and whether there would have been further treatment methods, I can unfortunately no longer say today. However, I will always have fond memories of her and I often say / talk to her in the evening (wherever she may be) and thank her for teaching me so much about budgies.

Züsi & Päuli

#7 ·
It's been a while. Today they are 25 and 23 days old and doing great. The little bee is a bit conspicuous in her motor skills and sometimes I have the feeling that she falls on one side. I can't say for sure if this is because of the bruise in the early chick stage. Maybe it's just a kind of shock paralysis when I take her in my hand to clean the nest box. Today they got a brand new nest box, the previous one is already very dirty despite daily cleaning.

Bird Toy Beak Felidae Fruit

Hand Bird Parrot Beak Finger

Insect Arthropod Finger Thumb Nail

Bird Beak Owl Finger Feather

Bird Hand Beak Finger Feather

Bird Beak Finger Parrot Feather

Bird Chicken Phasianidae Beak Galliformes

Bird Beak Feather Parrot Wing

Bird Beak Finger Feather Parrot

Bird Beak Finger Feather Fawn

#12 ·
Hi Faery!

No, they live 24/7 with free flight in their own bird room. The blue thing in the last pic is wrapping paper that I put on the wall behind the former bird cage to cover it and protect the wall from water when the budgies were bathing.

Wood Twig Electrical wiring Window Art

The blue thing is in the right corner, hidden behind the edge.

#16 ·
Today Hedwig laid a new egg with the two girls? still in the nesting box. I had to make the difficult decision to boil and return it to the nesting box. I mean I want to give her a break this year, maybe next year she can make another attempt; but nevertheless it's been a bit heartbreaking.

#17 ·
Neither parent is opaline so if you’re sure these are the parents then both babies are girls!
It’s very important to discard any new eggs as soon as possible to prevent her from double clutching. However, the eggs do not have any life in them until they are continuously incubated for several days, so you can just throw them out without worry. Additionally, you shouldn’t replace any of the eggs because it may encourage her to lay a full clutch. How old are the chicks now?

#18 ·
Uh i'm so happy about the girls; i had a light assumption when the white area around the cere was first visible. Chicks are 29 and 27 days old. I got the advice from someone else that I should boil them and put them back in the nesting box, as discarding the eggs might result in the hen laying eggs continously. So if i discard them immediately she won't lay any others / more?

#19 ·
It's actually the opposite, it would take her a while to realize the eggs will not hatch and in the meantime she'd likely continue laying a full clutch. Disposing of the eggs immediately after laying can help convey that conditions are not favorable for chicks and it could stop her egg laying cycle 👍

#21 ·
Joseph mary and jesus, it was just an exciting day. This afternoon I covered one part of the aviary with double-layered bubble wrap and put kitchen paper (two layers) on top. Just now I heard a soft "fump" from the next room and immediately went to look and the little bee was sitting on the floor of the cage, which I had just padded. I held her in my hand for a while and she seemed unharmed, even slept a little in my hand and enjoyed a gentle scratch on her head. I have now added a perch under the nest box. It's a bit slanted, but I hope it will at least cushion a direct fall. I have to go to work tomorrow and won't be back until the afternoon, so I sincerely hope they don't do anything stupid. I was very surprised that the younger chick was the first to leave the nest. Either her sense of discovery was just too great or she was dragged out.
Bird Eye Beak Pet supply Grey

Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Creative arts

Hand Plant Fruit Terrestrial plant Thumb

Wood Beam Line Composite material Building

Wood Pet supply Interior design Material property Tints and shades

Mesh Pet supply Grille Gas Composite material

Wood Pet supply Flooring Shelving Hardwood

Hand Finger Organism Thumb Nail

The last pic was taken just moments ago when she slept a little in my hand <3

#22 ·
The other thing you could do is create a false bottom about cutting the cage in half height wise. Get several wooden dowels and place them between the cage bars front to back and lay something like a piece of cardboard or foam core board across them to create the false bottom and lay some padding on top, just make sure there is no space around the perimeter that a toe or foot could get stuck in.

#23 ·
he other thing you could do is create a false bottom about cutting the cage in half height wise. Get several wooden dowels and place them between the cage bars front to back and lay something like a piece of cardboard or foam core board across them to create the false bottom and lay some padding on top, just make sure there is no space around the perimeter that a toe or foot could get stuck in.
That's a very good tip, i'll have a look tomorrow afternoon in the DIY store, thank you! 👍🦜

#26 ·
The babies are past three and one-half weeks old.
The mother needs to be put into a different cage and you need to work to bring her out of breeding condition so she does not double clutch.
Laying another full clutch of eggs is going to be extremely hard on her body.

At three and one-half weeks, the mother should be removed and the father should take over all the care of the chicks until they are fully fledged and weaned.

#27 ·
Hi FaeryBee!

I won't beat around the bush: I didn't take the mother out prematurely because she and the partner were very lovingly looking after the chicks. In the meantime she laid three new eggs, which I boiled and put back into the nest box. She seems to have completed the brood with three eggs again. The chicks both fledged this morning. Now I wait until the hen gives up brooding and then take the nest box away. I will definitely follow your advice next time, but I was still unsure about a lot of things during the first brood, or rather certain about some points, but now I have gained a different perspective thanks to your advice.

Property Wood Interior design Building Sports equipment

Bird Parrot Beak Pet supply Bird supply

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.