Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bird just got prescribed antibiotics and antifungals. I have tried to give it to them, and they started choking on it. The medication is very liquid, and in the past when ive given less ‘liquidy’ medication, this has not happened.

I can’t call the vet until monday, that’s when they open, so if i wanted to get a new medication i’d have to wait until then. Therefore, i hope the problem is with my handling, that way i can correct it immediately. I use a standard bander’s grip, i hold them upright, and i give the medication in the middle of their beaks, if that makes any sense. I have heard that it’s better to hold them sideways and give the medication through the side of their beaks, but i haven’t gotten to try this yet as i can’t give the next dose until tomorrow. Also, the last time i had an attachment on the syringe that made it so less medication came out at a time, could that have anything to do with this?

If anyone has any tips on how i can prevent them from choking on the medication, please let me know! <3

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
The medication may have gone into the choanal slit and therefore into the trachea instead of going down the esophagus. The esophagus is on the right side of the neck so try aiming to the right rather than the middle. I use several different methods to medicate depending on how wiggly the bird is being. If I cannot comfortably hold the bird and medicate, one thing that has worked well for me is to sit at a table and place the bird on the table with my hand gently over the bird restraining it, it seems that the bird feels more secure when its feet are on a stable surface, and then I proceed to administer the medication. How much do you need to give at one time, I find the larger the dose the harder it is to get it all in and perfectly swallowed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.