Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all:
My name is Bruno and I'm from Portugal.
A friend gived me a pair of Budgies. They are in the fotos.
I'm new to budgies and have passed a lot of time reading this great forum about care, breading, genetics,...
I'm amazed with all...
But some daughts have appeared.
I'm sure that my male is a Sky Blue Dominant Pied.
I'm not sure about the female(if she is a female becuse she has white and bluish cere).
I think she is a Blue (someting???) Clearflight Pied GreyWing.
Is that right?
I only wish to know to try my genetic knoledges and try to predict the offspring.
Can anybody confirm?
Tanks
P.S. - My english is not very fluent but i'm sure your Portuguese is not better :)

Bird Parrot Beak Pet supply Bird supply

Bird Beak Pet supply Bird supply Parrot

Bird Eye Beak Parrot Pet supply

·
MOTM December 2011
3,090 Posts
You have beautiful budgies!!! They are amazing :) I think your female is a violet but I don't know what mutation she is :eek:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Post a picture of the female from the back and top.

Remove the nest box. Your budgies are too young to breed.

They are beautiful though. :)

·
Administrator
56,541 Posts
Hi, and :welcome: Welcome to Talk Budgies!

Your birds are absolutely beautiful! Please do remove the nest box, as Budgiebud indicated, they are much to young to breed.

I don't know anything about mutations so I can't help with that. :(

This link will take you to the list of Frequently Asked Questions and lead you to information about how to navigate the forum, post pictures, etc.
http://talkbudgies.com/faq.php

Additionally, when you click on this link:
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=71657
it will take you to a thread with a list of the forum's "stickies".
The stickies are chock-full of information you are sure to find useful! ;)

If you have any questions after reading them, please be sure to ask!

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Hi Bruno, welcome to the forum

Your male is a sky blue dominant pied

You female is a greywing dominant pied. She looks like she could also be violet

The birds are very beautiful but they are very young and should not have a nest box until they are old enough to breed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tank you all...
Neasts removed!!!
:budgie::budge::budgie::budge:
I thought i have read somewere that a white iris ring in dominant pied was meaning of adult bird...
My Bad...
When do you think i should place the neast again???
One more question...
About probable offspring: (i passed hours and hours reading all the stickies and genetical articles trying to understand the color of the female and i'm very curious abou it):
The chicks will be
100% blues
Sky Blues or Cobalt(100% Sky Blues if the female is Skyblue Violet DF; 50% Sky Blues and 50% Cobalt if the female is Cobalt Violet)
100% Violet SF if the female is Sky Blue Violet DF; 50% Violet SF if the female is Cobalt Violet SF
50% Dominat pied SF, 25 % Dominat pied DF, 25 % Normal
50% Split To Greywing, 50% Split to Dilute or ClearWing
and maybe:
Opaline Females or Cinnamon Females or Albino Females or Opaline-Cinamon Females or Lacewing Females,... (if the male is split to any sex linked mutations)
Some Yellow Face Type I, II or Golden face if only the male or the female are DF Yellow Face Type I, II or Golden face
ClearWings if the male is split to ClerWing; Dilutes if the male is split to Dilute; full-body color greywing if the male is split to greywing
Recessive pieds if both male and female are splits of recessive pied
Is this line of thought correct???

Tanks again

P.S. Sorry for my bad english :-(

·
Registered
380 Posts
Gahh suck at mutations. But welcome to the fourm and your fids are beautiful!

Yeah, WAY yo young to breed. Do you know how to tell age?

Oh, and on that one picture of both of them close up, looks like two females. See the white on both or their nares? It has to be a solid color to be male.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure about the male.
I' thought it was adult beceuse is a dominant pied and has a white ring in the iris. About the age of the female i didn't understand yet but i'm getting there.
Now its 2.30 am were and its night but tomorrow i will observe them again trying to see more things.
They are my first budgies, they were given by a friend. In the past i had Zebra finches and Canaries, breed them with sucess but went to University and had to leave them. Now i'm discoveryng this exciting new world ;-)
Tank You

·
3,676 Posts
Your male's iris ring is only just developing, also his cere will turn blue when he matures. He looks about 5 months old.

You thinking on inheritance shows that you have been studying. Most of it looks fairly good except for the golden face & type 2 yellow face. Also your percentages split for greywing assumes the the hen is split for dilute, which she may not be

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your female is a DF violet greywing! She is the exact (and I mean EXACT) mutation as my boy!! :D They're identical...right down to the white patch on top of the head! Beautiful birds!!!:budge:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your male's iris ring is only just developing, also his cere will turn blue when he matures. He looks about 5 months old.

You thinking on inheritance shows that you have been studying. Most of it looks fairly good except for the golden face & type 2 yellow face. Also your percentages split for greywing assumes the the hen is split for dilute, which she may not be
Can you explain the goldenface and type 2 yellow face? Please
Tanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your female is a DF violet greywing! She is the exact (and I mean EXACT) mutation as my boy!! :D They're identical...right down to the white patch on top of the head! Beautiful birds!!!:budge:
Tanks :)
Can you tell me how do you tell she is a DF Violet? So she is a Sky Blue DF Violet? Or A Cobalt DF Violet?
Confusing...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tanks :)
Can you tell me how do you tell she is a DF Violet? So she is a Sky Blue DF Violet? Or A Cobalt DF Violet?
Confusing...
That I don't know :eek: I know who my boy's parents are. His Mom is a yellow face (type 1) cobalt blue dominant pied, and his Dad is a golden face sky blue dominant pied. He got a dose from them both and is a double factor violet (cobalt from 1 and sky blue from the other) Both his parents are split to greywing....and TADA he inherited that one! :giggle: Dominant pieds always/almost always have that clear patch on thier heads. They have to be double factor to be a true violet and have that pretty purple color :D

·
3,676 Posts
Can you explain the goldenface and type 2 yellow face? Please
Unlike the type 1 yellow face, double factors in both golden face and type 2 yellow face will still show the yellow. All three yellow face types are dominant over blue

With regard to violet it is not easy to tell visually if a bird is double factor or single factor violet. Some single factors will be a deeper shade than some double factors. Trying to judge violet from photos is almost impossible. The only way to be sure if a bird is double factor violet is from it's breeding results. To be double factor violet both parents would have to be violet and even then only about 25% of the chicks will be double factors

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
A very lovely pair of birds. Hope you will have lots of fun with these two. best of luck with your breeding plans - in about a year's time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.