Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Member of the Month Dec 2014
1,087 Posts

I live in a woodland area of Wichita, KS where box turtles habitats are compromised. Actually, "Carl" (the 3-toed box turtle in the 2nd photo) was my 1st box turtle since I relocated to Wichita a yr and a half ago. I found him in a park and took him home. Later, I found "Fern" and took her home as well. I built a 4 x 8 ft. habitat for them off my deck and then a neighbor brought me the little box turtle in the first photo who had been hit by a commercial lawnmower. Although I could see her lungs, the air sac surrounding them had not been compromised. I took her to my Avian Vet - an infection was already setting in. He injected her with antibiotics and sent me home with orally administered pain killers and an antiseptic rinse. Every other day, I took her back for another antibiotic injection. I faithfully administered the painkiller with a syringe, much like we feed baby birds. She was very cooperative -- everytime I picked her up, she opened her mouth trying to bite me and I just stuck the syringe in and pushed the plunger down. LOL Antiseptic rinses were done 3 times a day. The patient was surly throughout these acts of kindness; but I'm pleased to say, Shellie's carapace has grown back in the last year and she even bred with Carl before he was released back into the wild last fall. All in all, I have had 8 box turtles found or given to me in the past year. 5 of which I have rehabilitated and released in a beautiful rural area where I grew up. Next summer, Shellie and another female should be ready to release; although I'm not sure I'm ready to release Shellie. I have one male 3-toed box turtle, Arnold, who will have to remain in my care for the end of his (or my) life. The scutes on the rim of his carapace (the top shell) over his rear end were sheared off by a predator, so his saggy little bottom will always be hanging out. I named him Arnold after Arnold Swartzenegger-- I had seen a very disturbing photo on the cover of The Inquirer while checking out at the grocery store showing a recent image of Mr. Swartzenegger in a Speedo at the beach. His buttocks looked just like his saggy-baggy little namesakes.

· Administrator
60,477 Posts
Nedra --

How wonderful that you have created a habitat in your yard where you can rehabilitate and care for the box turtles! :hug:
It is both aesthetically and functionally beautiful!

Poor little Shellie! :( I'm extremely impressed at the extent of your care to ensure she had a chance to heal and live a long and happy life. :hug: The fact that she's grown her caprice back now is a testament to your loving attention and perseverance in ensuring no infection set in.

I love your reasoning behind (no pun intended) naming Arnold after A. Swartzenegger :laughing: Your little Arnold is very fortunate indeed to have you to love and care for him and to live in such a beautiful garden.

Thank you for sharing your pictures and story with us. I thoroughly enjoyed them. :)

1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Deb! Glad you got a laugh out of the Arnold story!

· Budgetarian Award Recipient November 2014
871 Posts
Thank you for sharing the wonderful story. That is a beautiful setup you have there for these amazing turtles. Bless you for taking care of these little ones. :)

1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Lyn, what's a 'penny turtle'? Was that her name or is that an Australian species? Was she a land turtle or an aquatic?
Love your stories and all the animals in your life.

· Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,742 Posts
It's amazing the work you have been doing for these turtles in terms of rehabilitation for a future release into the wild. :2thumbs:

1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank Aluz. I can't resist them. Like so many of the amazing animals on this planet, they were perfectly designed to survive in their environments, then man came along, and with him came cars and lawnmowers. Good for mankind; not so good for the little box turtles. Thanks so much for your kind words --

· Member of the Month September 2012
3,688 Posts
What a wonderful rescue story! Bless you for your compassion and care of these turtles

· Member of the Month August 2013
5,144 Posts
That is an awesome little habitat you have created. Even more awesome is the effort you are putting in to help these little ones. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.