Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a budgie named bitty and wanted to know if she's a she or a he. I want to get her/him a mate so I can start breeding. I've waited a while (a few months) to see if her cere turned blue. It didn't and she's very quite (which points toward female) I need to know what she/he is so I know what gender to seek. Here's a picture. I understand breeding since I've done it already with cockatiels, lovebirds, and canaries. I've also handfed before with the cockatiels. I wanted to breed so my budgie Bitty will have a mate and so my grandmother & best friend recently lost their budgies and I'd like to suprise them with handtamed babies. Oh and is it possible to handfeed baby budgies? I've never heard of it in the pet trade so that is why I'm asking. If it is possible what time should I pull and if it very difficult? Also I'm not sure of my budgie's mutation. If there a virtual breeder like there is for cockatiels for budgies like this?
http://www.kirstenmunson.com/cockatiels/blue.html
Thanks in advance for all the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hard to say without knowing what her parents were. But my best guess would be a Double Factored yellow body spangle or a lutino. can't tell what color her eyes are. When you breed 2 spangles together, you can get DF which takes away all the melanin/black and only leaves the body color. What color are the cheek spots? Looks like a female but if it is a lutino, it can be hard to tell for sure.
Steph

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
You have a female. Her eyes look black so she is either a double factor spangle or a dark eyed clear (double factor spangle is more likely). She is not old enough to breed yet. A double factor spangle mated to a normal budgie will produce 100% single factor spangle chicks.

You can hand feed baby budgies but it is not hard to tame them without hand feeding. Just handle them regularly twice a day from the time they are about 2 weeks old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought her back in the summer. Her eyes are black and her cheeks are white. I didn't know budgie genetics was that hard so case closed I'm happy with just the gender.

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.