Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I have rescued a budgie this summer and i wanted to have her a friend. So i contacted a woman and she gave me 30-day old budgie. It was so little and sweet. The next morning i noticed that he makes some strange noises, but i thought he is just hungry. Later I noticed he bopped is tail and was sleepy so i sent a video to the vet and he told me to come asap. After an hour he told me the bird has something i translate in English like lung swelling and gave me some medication and told me to put a lamp to make him warm and that he will be more active and i can give him the rest of the medication. I did this. My other budgie made some noises and the little one was very excited (I think the older one helped him to cheer up) I got their cages nex to each other so they can have visual contact and all was fine, they don't even made loud noise. So few hours later I got the baby cage in my bed and let the older one out of her cage. They were not fighting or interacting, the older one was flying around a bit, but the little one suddenly started to make the squeaking noises again (like rubber duck). I got to take the older budgie in the cage but the moment i let her in her cage the little one stopped the noises and dropped dead.
I am really devastated, I was waiting him to hatch and grow. I know i may be made some mistakes, but i did the best i can. May be he was so little and i shouldn't pick him up that early.
But one thing still troubles me - was it normal to make this sounds and than die because of the decease or me and the other budgie stressed him and this is the reason he passed.
I really can't forgive myself, he was the sweetest boy ever <3

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
I’m sorry you had this experience.

Budgies should never be released by a breeder until they are 8 weeks old, fully fledged and weaned. That budgie was MUCH too young to have been separated from its parents.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Quarantine IS Necessary!

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds

Resource Directory

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I know this, i am so sorry i did not before i got the baby, but she sent me a lot of images of other birds that were ok and happy, so i never asked myself is it dangerous.
Thank you for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
19,684 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums,

I’m so sorry this happened. Breeders should know better than to sell budgies at that age. My condolences for the loss of the little budgie 😔

FaeryBee has given great advice. Please be sure to read through the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies” to ensure you’re up to date on everything on the forums for best budgie care. You’ll be able to learn how to spot when things seem off with new or current budgies.

If you have questions after reading through things, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Hope to see you around!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts