Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bird appeared fine yesterday and this morning. I emptied his food bowl as usual but forgot to put more food in it. I went off to work and didn't get home until late. I found him on the bottom of the cage all fluffed and weak. I fed him immediately. He was so weak that he could barely eat but did manage to eventually eat about a usual meal worth. But he got weaker, went to the bottom of the cage and couldn't get up. I made guardian angel and soaked some millet in it but could not get him to eat any more. He died in my hands a few minutes later. I feel terrible. I don't think a bird can starve to death in 12 hours yet I wonder if it is my fault. This is my second budgie to die at a young age. I thought I was taking good care of him, other than forgetting his food this morning. I am heartbroken.

· Super Moderator
6,255 Posts
So sorry for your loss, there was likely some underlying cause, going without food for that short a time would not have been the cause. Because birds hide illness so well they can be ill will for a while without noticeable symptoms. They only way to know for sure would be to have a necropsy done by an avian vet.

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So sorry for your loss, there was likely some underlying cause, going without food for that short a time would not have been the cause. Because birds hide illness so well they can be ill will for a while without noticeable symptoms. They only way to know for sure would be to have a necropsy done by an avian vet.
Thank you for this. I have remembered that I ran in the house for something briefly at lunch time. I stopped to say hi. His bowl must have been empty then but he didn't cheep at me like he normally would to get more food.

· Super Moderator
20,042 Posts
I’m so sorry for the loss of your little one 🤍 As mentioned above a food shortage for half a day was not the cause, heathy budgies can survive over a day without food in the wild. Your little one was most likely hiding an illness which finally got to serious for him to hide.
May he rest in peace ~

· Administrator
60,477 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss and you are not to blame.

It is because of Love we Grieve

and
Because of Love we are also comforted
in our Sorrow

In Memories, may you find Healing
In Time, may you find Peace
In the Power of Love, may you find Comfort

Fly high and free little one; rest in peace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts