Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

So I was next to my budgies' cage, and I noticed a feather on the floor. When I picked it up I noticed something extremely strange about it. There are brown specs next to the middle part of the feather (that thick string looking thing). And a bit on some feather parts. Are these mites? What should I do?

Most of my female budgie's feathers are white, so it seems pretty easy to spot the brown specks. I think it's from her, rather than Adam.

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
It sounds as though your budgie has feather mites.

When one budgie has mites then all birds must be treated.

Additionally, the cage, food and water dishes as well all perches, toys and any areas the birds frequent need to be carefully cleaned and disinfected.

It would be best for you to have an Avian Vet administer the treatment to your budgies. Depending on how severe the mite infestation is, it may take more than one treatment and definitely more than one complete cleaning of all areas where the birds have been. Feather mites hide in tiny crevices of the cage, toys, etc and come out at night to feed on the birds.

http://talkbudgies.com/articles-budgie-disease-illness/340426-common-avian-parasites.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no! I'm currently struggling with money, is there some kind of powder or treatment that I can buy myself? If so, how much is it?
I noticed yesterday that both of my budgies have the brown specs. D:

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts

When you have pets it is always important to ensure you have the available funds to provide the necessary medical care in case if illness or injury.

If you have not yet done so, I would strongly recommend you set up an "emergency" fund for your budgies so you will be able to provide them Avian Vet care when necessary.

http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/295033-prepared-veterinary-care-expense.html

http://talkbudgies.com/articles-budgie-disease-illness/340314-why-seeing-avian-vet-so-important.html

I would never recommend using mite sprays or powders on your budgies.
These can be very toxic for your birds if they inhale the compounds or ingest them through preening.

You need to purchase "Scatt" or Ivermectin Spot On Treatment for birds which will kill scaly mites, air sac mites and feather mites.

The treatment is applied one drop to the back of the neck between the feathers (against the skin)

To clean the cage, toys, perches, food and water dishes, and everything the birds have had access to, you can use F10 Veterinary Disinfectant. If you choose to use a 50/50 bleach/water solution, make sure you rinse everything several times and let it dry completely.

ladygouldianfinch.com - Feather Mites & Lice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.