Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stormy has a mirror and bell hanging in her cage, and its her favorite thing! She loves the bell and often wears it as a hat lol! (pictures attached). The only problem is, recently she's started completely ignoring me in favor of her own reflection in the mirror.
I think she thinks its another bird. She tries to feed it and sings to it all the time. She'll stand on my hand to get a better look at herself, but when I move her away from the mirror she jumps back to it. I feel bad but I'm not allowed to get a second bird to keep her company; parents rules.
What do I do? Leave the mirror to keep her company or take it away so we can bond? She completely favors her reflection over me!
IMG_7029.jpg
(taken on an iphone, apologies for the quality)

Attachments

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Hi again, Morgan!

This is something that can certainly happen when there is long term exposure to a mirror or other mirrored toys on a cage and this can turn into a serious problem especially for single birds, where they get overly attached and develop mental problems which will also manifest physically in terms of general health.

The best thing to do is really to remove the mirror toy from the cage and replace it for a different type of toy.
You can still allow your Stormy to play with bells.

From the photo I'm really seeing a uniform deep pinkish cere on your Stormy indicating boy.

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
Aluz has offered great advice.

Does Stormy have any out of cage time? I'm wondering if you can rearrange his cage and remove the mirror when he's not in it.
If he doesn't have out of cage time yet, I would simply remove the toy and replace it with a lovely bird safe bell instead. This will give Stormy a lovely new treat and hopefully he'll forget about that other bird in the mirror all together. ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
We're still working on that :) So far he/she is still getting used to being held. I'll take the mirror out and keep the bell, since its such a favorite of Stormy's.

I've removed the mirror but hung the same bell where it was originally. We have a second mirror thats much smaller. It's a little basketball game that Stormy enjoys playing with. Should I remove that as well?

·
Administrator
55,292 Posts
I love the pictures :photo: of Stormy with the bell on his head -- so adorable!

It's good that you've removed the larger mirror.

I'd leave the basketball toy in the cage for now if I were you.
If it appears Stormy is becoming obsessed with the smaller mirror on the basketball toy, you can always remove the toy later.

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
Hi Morgan!

Your little boy is precious ;) Aluz has given the very best advice :thumbsup:

Although Stormy might be anxious for a while looking for the "other bird" he was so obsessed with, soon he will learn to play with his other toys, as well as seek interaction with you. If you notice he seems to be looking for the mirror or is acting anxious about the whole thing, sit by his cage and talk to him for a while, or play with some of his toys with him to redirect his attention.

Best of luck! :2thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.