Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My remaining two budgies are eating their poop. They are nearly a year old and they started this behavior after the death of my third budgie. What can I do to stop them from doing this??? And what is the reason for such behavior???

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
This is known as coprophagia, and although disgusting to us it is common in various animals . It can have various reasons one being nutritional and odd as it may seem sometimes done out of boredom, maybe since they started doing this after the death of your other bird it is some type of emotional thing. What does their normal diet consist of ?

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
Fruit has a lot of sugar in it, try adding some leafy green veggies instead of fruit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually give them seeds and occasionally I give them fruits and I gave them the leaves of holy basil once in a week

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,238 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

You've been given great advice and resources above by FaeryBee and Cody and I agree with them completely. Please be sure to read through all the links provided above as they're the best way to stay updated on the best of budgie care practices. Please be sure to ask if you have questions after doing so!

Best wishes for your budgies!

Cheers 👋

1 - 7 of 7 Posts