Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new budgie owner, I've had my little boy Cotton for about 3 weeks now (the breeder said he was about 3-4 months old) and his cere is kinda flaky. I didn't think much of it at first but it kinda shed a bit off today. Is this normal or is there something wrong with his cere?
Bird Parrot Beak Feather Wing
Bird Parrot Beak Feather Parakeet

·
Banned
5 Posts
A flaky cere is completely normal in budgies it's nothing to worry about. It's a maturity and hormonal thing. He is not a young budgie though, I believe he is at least a year old.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A flaky cere is completely normal in budgies it's nothing to worry about. It's a maturity and hormonal thing. He is not a young budgie though, I believe he is at least a year old.
He's at least a year old? The breeder said he was between 3-4 months. I was suspicious because his brother (I bought them together) looks a lot younger. Cotton does has a red band on his foot which I looked up and I think it said it meant he was born in 2018- but surely he can't be that old? I'm really not sure

·
Banned
5 Posts
He's at least a year old? The breeder said he was between 3-4 months. I was suspicious because his brother (I bought them together) looks a lot younger. Cotton does has a red band on his foot which I looked up and I think it said it meant he was born in 2018- but surely he can't be that old? I'm really not sure
I'm 100% he's at least a year old. You can tell their age from their eyes. Full black eyes means a young budgie. Since he has a white ring around the black part of his eye it means he's full grown.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 100% he's at least a year old. You can tell their age from their eyes. Full black eyes means a young budgie. Since he has a white ring around the black part of his eye it means he's full grown.
Thank you so much for informing me, as well as quelling my worry about his cere 💖 I feel so much more relieved knowing it's natural

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,275 Posts
A flaky cere is completely normal in budgies it's nothing to worry about.

Ok, this is not entirely accurate.
A flaky cere can also be an indication of scaly mites, which needs to be treated with Ivermectin (or similar) by an avian vet.

Thank you so much for informing me, as well as quelling my worry about his cere 💖 I feel so much more relieved knowing it's natural
Has your bird ever been to an avian vet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, this is not entirely accurate.
A flaky cere can also be an indication of scaly mites, which needs to be treated with Ivermectin (or similar) by an avian vet.

Has your bird ever been to an avian vet?
He has not yet. The avian vet is quite a long way from me so I'd have to go on bus. He isn't hand trained and he panics if being moved so I was planning to wait until he becomes more comfortable with me first

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,275 Posts
He has not yet. The avian vet is quite a long way from me so I'd have to go on bus. He isn't hand trained and he panics if being moved so I was planning to wait until he becomes more comfortable with me first
Give them a call and see if they’ll do a virtual visit?
They may be able to make a determination based on pictures and/or video.

·
Super Moderator
19,413 Posts
The only time a flaky cere is a sign of maturity is in females, and that is only in appearance as there aren't any actual flakes falling off in most cases.

In this case, it very much appears that your little boy may have scaly face mites. It's important to get in touch with a vet right away; in the case of scaly face mites a virtual visit may be sufficient to get a diagnosis.

Do you have photos taken in more natural light you can post in the meanwhile?

If he does have scaly face mites, he and all other birds you have will have to be treated with ivermectin spot-on treatment, which is administered as a single drop directly on the skin between the wings. Usually this is a one-time treatment, especially since this case isn't as severe yet.

As a sidenote, he's already been through his first moult and has his irises, so he is at least 7-8 months old. Usually budgies with clear irises and completed first molts are between 9-12 months but early bloomers can be as young as 7 months old. Regardless, he's definitely not 5 months old ;)

As a reminder, all members are advised to consider the Staff's guidance on all matters.

·
Administrator
59,145 Posts
Please DISREGARD any and all posts made on this thread by budgiekl1004

The information provided by budgiekl1004 was INACCURATE. A temporary ban is now in place for this member.

Answers to questions will be provided by Talk Budgies staff.
Our staff have the knowledge and experience to give you accurate answers and
Talk Budgies staff provide information to give your birds the care recommended for their optimal health and well being.
The information StarlingWings has given you is 100% correct!

All members should be aware that taking advice from other members is not recommended.
PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING:

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only time a flaky cere is a sign of maturity is in females, and that is only in appearance as there aren't any actual flakes falling off in most cases.

In this case, it very much appears that your little boy may have scaly face mites. It's important to get in touch with a vet right away; in the case of scaly face mites a virtual visit may be sufficient to get a diagnosis.

Do you have photos taken in more natural light you can post in the meanwhile?

If he does have scaly face mites, he and all other birds you have will have to be treated with ivermectin spot-on treatment, which is administered as a single drop directly on the skin between the wings. Usually this is a one-time treatment, especially since this case isn't as severe yet.

As a sidenote, he's already been through his first moult and has his irises, so he is at least 7-8 months old. Usually budgies with clear irises and completed first molts are between 9-12 months but early bloomers can be as young as 7 months old. Regardless, he's definitely not 5 months old ;)

As a reminder, all members are advised to consider the Staff's guidance on all matters.
Thank you for the information! Here are some pictures I took just now hopefully lighting is okay, they just woke up so they're not very photogenic. I've taken a photo of Cashew (Cotton's cage buddy) just in case

Bird Beak Parrot Organism Feather

Bird Beak Feather Parrot Wing

·
Administrator
59,145 Posts
I'm glad to hear you are taking both budgies in for an appointment with your Avian Vet.
I'm concerned about the green budgie's cere as it appears the blue is turning brown.
This can be an indication of a hormonal problem in a male budgie so please be sure to mention that at the appointment.

I'll be looking forward to your update about both birds following your appointment.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on Cotton and Cashew!

Took them to the vet today (Just a side note, does anyone else get incredibly anxious when they take their pets to the vet? I was so worried it would be distressing for them- but they did great)

The vet checked their eyes, cere, nostrils, beak, inside their mouth, wings, legs- everywhere. Asked about what I feed them, how I feed them, how they are during the day and all kinds of stuff.

The vet agreed that it looks like early stages of scaly face mites and gave them both an underwing treatment right there. Apart from that she said they look healthy and their feathers are beautiful ☺

I asked about Cashew's cere and mentioned the hormonal thing, but the vet said Cashew doesn't appear to have any issues like that (maybe it was the lighting in the pic I took. I'm very relieved that they have the mite treatment now though, though their underwing looks a little red from where it's been (is that normal?) regardless they are back home and relaxed after a stressful day. I think they loved the travel though!

Bird Parrot Beak Pet supply Plant

Bird Beak Parrot Feather Wing

·
Administrator
59,145 Posts
I'm SO glad you took Cotton and Cashew to the vet and they did well!

1. Yes, it is normal for the owner to get anxious when taking (any) pet to the vet! However, we must strive to remai as calm and relaxed as possible as our animals pick up on our stress and emotions.
2. Yes, it is normal for the site of the application of the spot-on treatment to be a bit red.

Both boys look very handsome in the pictures and I'm happy they are both healthy.

Best wishes!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.