Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new budgie owner, I've had my little boy Cotton for about 3 weeks now (the breeder said he was about 3-4 months old) and his cere is kinda flaky. I didn't think much of it at first but it kinda shed a bit off today. Is this normal or is there something wrong with his cere?
Bird Parrot Beak Feather Wing
Bird Parrot Beak Feather Parakeet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A flaky cere is completely normal in budgies it's nothing to worry about. It's a maturity and hormonal thing. He is not a young budgie though, I believe he is at least a year old.
He's at least a year old? The breeder said he was between 3-4 months. I was suspicious because his brother (I bought them together) looks a lot younger. Cotton does has a red band on his foot which I looked up and I think it said it meant he was born in 2018- but surely he can't be that old? I'm really not sure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 100% he's at least a year old. You can tell their age from their eyes. Full black eyes means a young budgie. Since he has a white ring around the black part of his eye it means he's full grown.
Thank you so much for informing me, as well as quelling my worry about his cere 💖 I feel so much more relieved knowing it's natural

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, this is not entirely accurate.
A flaky cere can also be an indication of scaly mites, which needs to be treated with Ivermectin (or similar) by an avian vet.

Has your bird ever been to an avian vet?
He has not yet. The avian vet is quite a long way from me so I'd have to go on bus. He isn't hand trained and he panics if being moved so I was planning to wait until he becomes more comfortable with me first

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only time a flaky cere is a sign of maturity is in females, and that is only in appearance as there aren't any actual flakes falling off in most cases.

In this case, it very much appears that your little boy may have scaly face mites. It's important to get in touch with a vet right away; in the case of scaly face mites a virtual visit may be sufficient to get a diagnosis.

Do you have photos taken in more natural light you can post in the meanwhile?

If he does have scaly face mites, he and all other birds you have will have to be treated with ivermectin spot-on treatment, which is administered as a single drop directly on the skin between the wings. Usually this is a one-time treatment, especially since this case isn't as severe yet.

As a sidenote, he's already been through his first moult and has his irises, so he is at least 7-8 months old. Usually budgies with clear irises and completed first molts are between 9-12 months but early bloomers can be as young as 7 months old. Regardless, he's definitely not 5 months old ;)

As a reminder, all members are advised to consider the Staff's guidance on all matters.
Thank you for the information! Here are some pictures I took just now hopefully lighting is okay, they just woke up so they're not very photogenic. I've taken a photo of Cashew (Cotton's cage buddy) just in case

Bird Beak Parrot Organism Feather

Bird Beak Feather Parrot Wing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on Cotton and Cashew!

Took them to the vet today (Just a side note, does anyone else get incredibly anxious when they take their pets to the vet? I was so worried it would be distressing for them- but they did great)

The vet checked their eyes, cere, nostrils, beak, inside their mouth, wings, legs- everywhere. Asked about what I feed them, how I feed them, how they are during the day and all kinds of stuff.

The vet agreed that it looks like early stages of scaly face mites and gave them both an underwing treatment right there. Apart from that she said they look healthy and their feathers are beautiful ☺

I asked about Cashew's cere and mentioned the hormonal thing, but the vet said Cashew doesn't appear to have any issues like that (maybe it was the lighting in the pic I took. I'm very relieved that they have the mite treatment now though, though their underwing looks a little red from where it's been (is that normal?) regardless they are back home and relaxed after a stressful day. I think they loved the travel though!

Bird Parrot Beak Pet supply Plant

Bird Beak Parrot Feather Wing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.