Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so i am a new budgie owner and new on this platform and i need help with my seems to be depressed budgie. so yesterday his friend Kiwi has passed away and my bird (Pee-tree) has bed just bored and less eating and he let me pick him up a pet him but then a few seconds latter, jumps out of my hand and fell asleep on the side of me. Another thing is when i put him in his cage he jumped down and fell asleep on the ground and i thought he was just morning the death of his friend who he has seen last on the ground. Please help me on making him better, nobody even animals should go through the lost of a best friend.

· Super Moderator
6,255 Posts
When did you acquire the birds, what did Kiwi die from, it is possible that if he was ill he passed the illness to Pee-tree. Is Pee-tree puffed up at the bottom of the cage?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When did you acquire the birds, what did Kiwi die from, it is possible that if he was ill he passed the illness to Pee-tree. Is Pee-tree puffed up at the bottom of the cage?
I got them somewhere around March 18th and April of 2022 and I don't exactly what kiwi could of died from like one minute she was jumping around in her care the next on the floor laying down in her cage. and yes Pee-Tree is puffed up on the bottom of the cage trying to sleep so i put him back up on the stick he is usually on and i did that a few times that he finally stayed on there and when i woke up today he was still on his stick

· Super Moderator
6,255 Posts
Any bird puffed up at the bottom of the cage is seriously ill and needs to be seen asap by an avian vet or a vet that has experience treating birds. Birds hide illness very well and by the time they are puffed up at the bottom of the cage they have been ill for some time and need immediate treatment. Is he eating, what do the dropping look like, normal or abnormal.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any bird puffed up at the bottom of the cage is seriously ill and needs to be seen asap by an avian vet or a vet that has experience treating birds. Birds hide illness very well and by the time they are puffed up at the bottom of the cage they have been ill for some time and need immediate treatment. Is he eating, what do the dropping look like, normal or abnormal.
He is indeed eating but his dropping is like going back and forth from normal to abnormal

· Administrator
60,477 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Have you taken Pee-Tree in for a well-birdie check up yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts