Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My dream coloured lovie!

4K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  TheSkySprite 
#1 ·
Last week I went to the pet store to get Khaleesi her very own swing and some food for the flock, I decided I might as well check the birdies they had there. They had in my humble opinion THE most beautiful lovebird, the colour I have always wanted so I was in a dilemma, should I take it home or not?
That was on Monday, June 17th and I left empty-handed. Had to think about it carefully because I already have a large flock (6 budgies and 5 lovebirds). And I was afraid the newcomer wouldn't get along with any of my single lovies.
After much thinking, I decided to go back to the pet store by the end of the week and if my dream bird was still there, then I would get it.
I guess you all know how by now how that ended. The guy at the store checked the cloaca bones and said it's likely the bird is a female, which is great if it's true. I didn't say I wanted a female because that could influence him in deceiving me on purpose.

So here is the newcomer, it was vet checked and I could introduce it to Lotas and they get along really well! :D

Isn't she lovely?

It's a dark eyed clear fischer's lovebird

It has a ring that says it was born in 2013 so she is very young, under the age of 6 months and hasn't gone through its first moult yet.

This is Lotas, not only did he won second place on the bird show, now he has a new cage mate and possible girlfriend!

They preened each other after 30 minutes of being together.

Here is Khaleesi, I had just caught her trying to take out the U letter from my laptop. :D

See less See more
#4 ·
A few more pics of the newcomer, I got her on the first day of Summer, June 21st. And I named her Fénix (Portuguese word for Phoenix).

She reminds me a lot of Lotas and Khaleesi's mother, Sindel which also loves being a bat

She adores the swing even more than she does Lotas

Her colours will get more intense as she starts to moult and the orange will get more dark and fiery. :)

#7 ·
Thanks, Kat!
She has been a joy to have so far, loves her veggies and actually eats them, not like Lotas that usually just destroys them and makes a mess.:eek:
Now that he sees her eating them, he is also starting to not just play with his food. :)

#9 ·
Thanks, Randy!

This afternoon there were a few baths and Khaleesi wins the prize hands down of the most wet of all. She manages to have the water reach her skin!
It's her way of celebrating her 2 month old landmark today. :)

Now I know all her baths will be like this. :D

Fénix also took a celebratory bath today for her first week in her new home!
It was tricky to take her photo as she is still a tad wild, but you can see she has her chest area a bit wet still.

#16 ·
Indeed, I have 6 of each and that is my limit. No more birdies, not for a while at least! Summer is here and many lost pet birds find their way to my house and I can't say no to a stray in need of help.

#13 ·
She is lovely! Those sunrise colors are just
so eye catching, and she seems so sweet as
well. Congrats on a lovely addition to the
flock.

Khaleesi's bath look was a real laugh. I have
never seen such a bad hair day on a bird
as she managed in that post-bath look. But I
bet she had a good time, too!

#17 ·
Thank you! :) My house has double the noise now with the newcomer!
Yes, Khaleesi had a blast taking her bath. The weather here is getting very hot, so I'm sure more baths will come for her and my other lovies!

#18 ·
Yes, I did! Khaleesi is very bonded to me because I ended up hand feeding her due to parents' rejection. She is my little princess and very spoiled! :)

#21 ·
I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread. I want love birds again! Maybe my new aviary could be one side lovebirds and one side budgies :D

All of them are gorgeous, and there are some great pics that really show the birds personalities.

#24 ·
Thanks for all your comments, everyone! And I'm sorry if the pictures have caused a craving for this type of bird! :D Be aware they are really loud, especially the 6 of them and they are generally messier than budgies.

#26 ·
That's why I have to resist the temptation to see who's arrived at the pet store whenever I go in to buy stuff for my birds :D I just love the colour on your new bird and those dark eyes... Just immagine the chicks that will come out from those 2 beautiful birds (I think I will have to come visit you :)) I have one question: how did you manage to handle her so soon, considering she's from a pet store and, I assume, not handfed?
I also like the names from "Game of Thrones", although Khaleesi would suit the new lovebird better (blonde with no green?) ahahahahahah!
She always manages to really get drenched, doesn't she?:D

#28 ·
I really did have to make an exception for this bird, though. Ever since I got Nico, who is a pastel green fischer, I have been wanting to get a dark-eyed clear lovebird. And since I didn't get that colour through breeding (only got normal green chicks) my best bet was to get one.

I know the name would suit the newcomer more, but she still has a fire bird related name. And she is semi-wild, I got lucky on the second day after getting her, as I managed to take her out and she stayed in my hand. She doesn't seem as wild as my other lovebirds when I first got them, but still she left me a souvenir on my fingertip (ripped some skin and drawn a bit of blood).

Yes, my little princess Khaleesi takes her baths really seriously and won't leave till she gets all soaked up! :D

#30 ·
I'm sure you'll manage to bond with this new cutie in no time. She's really gorgeous: I'm sure I would not have been able to resist her too :D She's also a rare combination with those nice black eyes. The only thing with female lovebirds is that when they become hormonal, they really become a different bird. My girl, who I have hand-fed, is a sweetie but as soon as she decides to lay eggs, she's a different bird: she's also managed to draw blood when I was trying to clean her cage :eek: Although I discourage her in all ways, she's currently trying to build a nest at the bottom of her cage and mating with my male budgie :eek:

#32 ·
Yes, I know too well how crazy they get... Lotas and Khaleesi's mother has lost all trust in me this Spring when her breeding didn't go well, having laid 7 eggs, possibly killing a newly-hatched chick and later having rejected her only baby, little Khaleesi.
I think she got really upset with me for maybe having to interfere and now she wants nothing to do with me and she threatens me when I get too close to her space. She trashed and completely destroyed another swing, also takes revenge on the top holders of the water and food containers, chucking them out of her way. I hope her diva attitude won't last much longer and Nico will be able to control her more, but for now she is the boss of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.