Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a favourite pet shop.. It's been there for like 30 years, I remember going there with my mom when I was little. It's a family owned business (mum, dad and daughters run the place). They have a great bird room that's always perfectly clean and all the birds always look well taken care of. They get their babies not from mills but from hobby breeders, unlike the huge chain down the street from them. If any of the babies have defects or problems they keep them as store pets. They have an English named Nemo with a foot defect that sleeps on the bottom of the cage and a little wild type named Bubbles that has a feather growing out of her eye that needs to be plucked constantly plus a couple others whose stories I don't know. Nemo and Bubbles are tame and allowed to roam the shop sometimes. They always are very knowledgeable and one of the girls that works there is super sweet and likes to chat, sometimes I'll stop in and say hi even if I'm not after anything.

This also happens to be the store I got Quiche from.. and when I went in the other day after to say hi, I told Ruby my sad story about losing Quiche and Bower. After purchasing Blueberry Pie and Frosty she asked if I wanted to go into the draw to win a fish tank. I filled out the form and went on my way..

Then today I got a call....

Guess who won this cute little fish tank?!?! It's got the LED light and filter all built into it. I love it and I can't wait to set it up and pick out a fish to go in there!

I can't help but be suspicious that my name wasn't picked at random, after my sad story. They're so sweet there and I'm sort of a regular (lol). I have even more respect for them knowing that this prize came out of their own pockets since this isn't some big corporate chain. I'll be very sad if they go out of business, all but 2 of the same franchises in our city have gone out of business in the past couple of years because of the massive pet store chains going up.

So just a reminder to try and support small businesses. My husband is shadowing a franchise owner at the moment because we are thinking of buying a franchise of our own sometime in the next few years so I know a bit about how much they can struggle. :)

OK off my soapbox now, how cute is this tank!?!?!? What should I put in there?? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
37,335 Posts
I am so happy for you Ali. couldn't of happened to a nicer person I can't wait to see it set up :D I have fish but they are outside in huge ponds.
I hope your family have a lovely Christmas day and the kids don't get you up too early HA ha Enjoy and talk again soon. Merry Christmas:budgie:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Congratulations on winning Allie!

I had tropical fish up until the summer, are you getting cold or tropical?
If you get tropical avoid ones such as platty, molly, guppie, they breed SO much. Gourami are nice, more so the dwarf ones... they are pretty hard to breed which is a good thing, well in my opinion :D then there's angel fish, my favourite! Not sure how big your tank is though... if you get Angels, stay away from Neon Tetra etc... Angels will eat them whole!

Good luck with what you pick! Post pictures :D

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ruby suggested neons but I've always thought they were so... Dull

I like guppies, I could always buy just males.

Mollies and sword tails I've done before so I'll stay away from them

I'm thinking something tropical, I'll just have to pick up a small heater

The tank is only 15L so whatever I choose it won't be big!

I've used this website in the past for my sister so I'll probably order something from it :)

http://www.livefish.com.au

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so happy for you Ali. couldn't of happened to a nicer person I can't wait to see it set up :D I have fish but they are outside in huge ponds.
I hope your family have a lovely Christmas day and the kids don't get you up too early HA ha Enjoy and talk again soon. Merry Christmas:budgie:
You're too sweet Cathy :) it's 6 am and I'm awake but the kids are still asleep LOL I hope you have a fantastic Christmas!! Merry Christmas to Budget and FIFO too!

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
Very cute tank.....we have a fluval 5 gl that is very similar. Congrats....:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.