Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's night in India(1:42am). I found my budgie (Green) vomit in cage. So I calmly talked to him put on lights and weighted him. He is now 27-28gms. I feed him seeds. After which I was preparing to leave him for sleeping and he started vomiting again.
Before sleeping evening 6:30pm he was weighing 31 g.
He is not drinking electrolyte and I don't know what to do in middle of night.
Please help. I am in India.

Vomit has only seeds. And he vomitted once in morning to which vet asked me to wait as birds get ok on thier own. Now I am regretting it.

Kindly suggest me something urgently

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
Ginger has antibacterial properties and can be used to settle digestive upsets, so it's not a cure, but it may help him settle down a little bit if you give him a small bit of ginger tea (ginger root that has been steeped in hot water and then cooled down to room temperature, then take out the ginger and give him the cooled drink). Put a tiny bit of honey in it too if you can for electrolytes and see if he'll drink it. Right now it's critical to keep him hydrated. Keep in mind that this is NOT a replacement for having your budgie seen by an avian vet. If your current vet doesn't want to see him (which to me indicates that he is not an avian vet, as any avian vet would consider this much vomiting a good reason to see him) then you need to try and find an avian vet that will see him as soon as possible. If he's unable to keep anything down, he will rapidly become dehydrated and weak and deteriorate from there, so it's critical he's seen by an avian vet.

Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
He is not drinking anything on his own right now. I even tried using a dropper directly in his mouth as well but he sneezes out, I guess, all of it. Please let me know if there is any better approach.

Edit: Also I give him ACV (0.5ml in 250ml water) everyday, I keep it diluted since I give it everyday

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
You can try calling an on-line Veterinarian Service

JustAnswer.com

How old is your budgie?
When did the vomiting start?
Has he been showing other signs of illness?
Runny Poop?
Sneezing or Coughing?
Fluffed Up?
Lethargic?

Good luck! I hope you find a professional that is able to help your budgie.
Are there any Emergency Veterinarians that care for birds in your area?

Avian Association of Veterinarians

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried justAnswer and din find any avian vet for help. I contacted vets in my cities, but as you said, I don't think they are avian experts. Aav also doesn't show any result in my state.

My Green should be about 8months old (he had been over its first molting 3months back).
He first vomited a month back once, then a week back and today. Today he is vomiting again and again
No other signs of illness, he still is playing. He likes more now to be on my hand and sleeps on it.
Poop is normal - smaller size after vomiting
No sneezing, coughing or puffing up.

He seems to be only tired after vomiting. I started feeling his chest bones (sharp) in night.

Now it's morning 7, here. I am still hunting for a Avian vet. But kindly help me in mean time.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Try to find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian that has experience with small birds.
Try calling zoos and wild-life rescue organizations in your area for assistance.

Other than the advice you have already been given, there really isn't anything members of the forum can recommend to you.
We are not professionals and can not diagnose nor prescribe treatment for your budgie.

If all else fails, find a regular vet who will see your budgie and can consult with an Avian Vet in a different locale via phone or skype.

Good luck
Sending lots of love and healing energy for your little guy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try to find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian that has experience with small birds.
Try calling zoos and wild-life rescue organizations in your area for assistance.

Other than the advice you have already been given, there really isn't anything members of the forum can recommend to you.
We are not professionals and can not diagnose nor prescribe treatment for your budgie.

If all else fails, find a regular vet who will see your budgie and can consult with an Avian Vet in a different locale via phone or skype.

Good luck
Sending lots of love and healing energy for your little guy!
Thanks for suggestions. I am trying all I can here to get him well.
He is playing, preening now. Scratching his head more than usual.

As precautionary measure currently I am trying to give him ACV. I have zincovit with me but don't know when to give that as well.

If you know how people have followed it, please share. I want him to be well until I get connected to a vet who can check him directly.

Thanks for all the love and support. This is helping me from breaking down and not loosing hope.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found a vet, she seems to understand the situation currently and has asked us to give probiotics to Green and his friend for 2 days and observe health.

She said "Usual causes are indigestion, excessive feeding and obstruction. Right now I'm just treating him for indigestion. If that doesn't help we need to go in for further examination and you will have to get him to me. For the next two days, give him one bc - a few drops 3 times a day.
Or
Sporlac powder one fourth teaspoon with food or water two to three times a day."

The doc has asked to immediately stop ACV. If anyone is also having similar issue with their bird, please stop on ACV. Luckily he din drink ACV water today morning.

I will try to post the update here. So it can help as many people as possible

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
I'm very glad you have found a vet that is helping you and will be looking forward to your updates on Green's progress as he recovers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Green has not vomited yet. He is back to his energy. I have stopped giving ACV in drinking water. Started giving him probiotics (2'wice week) and multivitamin in drinking water.
Also doc mentioned that all birds should have deworming session every 3months. Have started on the same.

Thanks for all your support. It really had given me a great strength in the desperate times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.