Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two wee bubs from my dom. pieds Bonnie and Clyde are now out in the aviary with the rest of the flock and I must say I am very pleased with them! I've decided to keep them both to breed in the future.
This post is basically just me wanting conformation from the experts on sex and mutation, and I'm terrible at split for stuff so any of that too. It would be great to have some suggestions on what mutations would be great to pair these two with in the future. Thanks guys!

Dad:

Mum:

Chick 1 has gone from this:

to this:

Chick 2 has gone from this:

to this:

Together!

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Dad looks like a YF grey dominant pied and mom a grey dominant pied. Chick 1 looks like a male YF1 grey dominant pied and chick 2 is a hen and I think a DF dominant pied. I believe she's a cobalt, because it looks like she has a cobalt rump and her cheek patches look darker than her brothers, but I will say that initially I thought she was a grey as well. Can you tell me if the spot on her belly is grey or blue? They're both gorgeous!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And now that I'm looking again, dad looks like a greywing. Any pictures of dad from the front?
I'm pretty sure dad is greywing, here's a pic from the front:

And the mother is an opaline, right?

I thought that perhaps the female chick was also opaline but with only those two wing markings its pretty much impossible to tell for me. Her tummy patch is quite faint but it seems more towards blue than grey. My camera mucks up shade a bit unfortunately :/ I have a grey opaline boy as well and he is much lighter than the male chick. The male chicks grey is very dark and really stands out in person.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
It's hard for me to tell. I really ought to leave this stuff up to the experts! :laugh: I initially thought they all 4 were grey, but I don't know. :D They look different on the computer than they do on my phone, too. Chick 1 def looks grey to me. I think you're right about the opaline, too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard for me to tell. I really ought to leave this stuff up to the experts! :laugh: I initially thought they all 4 were grey, but I don't know. :D They look different on the computer than they do on my phone, too. Chick 1 def looks grey to me. I think you're right about the opaline, too.
I thought you were an expert Erin! :laugh: Well I'm glad I may have gotten something right...
Chicks now have names, female is Pearl and male is Tempest.
I think it might be time to ask for a nice signature now I've passed eight birds!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yes momma is opaline so the little girl has to be since it is sex linked. They are stunning, simply stunning! Congrats on those two! The boy is split for opaline too then since mum can only pass on an opaline gene. If you pair him with a opaline hen then all the chicks will be too. Oh and they should both be split for greywing from dad. So you could get dominant pied opaline greywings.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The boy will be split Opaline, however the girl can't be Opaline unless the father is split for it, females can't pass on sex-linked genes to their daughters.
Father could quite possibly be split for it? I have no idea what his parents were. I wish Pearl had more markings, it would be much easier to tell then. I suppose the only way to be sure is pick the right mate and breed from her?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes momma is opaline so the little girl has to be since it is sex linked. They are stunning, simply stunning! Congrats on those two! The boy is split for opaline too then since mum can only pass on an opaline gene. If you pair him with a opaline hen then all the chicks will be too. Oh and they should both be split for greywing from dad. So you could get dominant pied opaline greywings.
Thank you very much, first chicks in years so I'm just chuffed they turned out so nice. I just wish more of the eggs ended up hatching, she had five in there, of course then I would of had to pick who to keep!
Googled dom pied opaline greywings, stunning birds! Definitely something to aim for! Tempest's yf genes added in could be interesting too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.