Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious to know what would my pair have as chicks mutations
My male has a dark purple cere and he has green under his wings and a bit below the wings
As well as those green spots
He doesnt have an iris
Its just dark black eye
So what would this type be?
My female is pale olive
she has a white cere.. Not that white though
Im so confused how come since she bas an iris and she has been bonded with the male for more that 3 months
Heres their pic
Hope you help me figure out

http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/822/budgiez.jpg/

·
Registered
592 Posts
Im curious to know what would my pair have as chicks mutations
My male has a dark purple cere and he has green under his wings and a bit below the wings
As well as those green spots
He doesnt have an iris
Its just dark black eye
So what would this type be?
My female is pale olive
she has a white cere.. Not that white though
Im so confused how come since she bas an iris and she has been bonded with the male for more that 3 months
Heres their pic
Hope you help me figure out

http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/822/budgiez.jpg/
Hello Are you sure his eyes are not dark plum coloured .
If so he's a Pied. She's a normal olive green. Can't see your photo.
Also not sure what else your asking ....B.J.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The male's main color is yellow but theres some green feathers all around hia body
And alot of green feathers under his wings on his body back
His eye is dark black im sure
Thanks anyways
But is he ressesive or dominant?

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Does the male have iris rings? He looks like a combination or dominant pied olive green. The hen looks like a olive green cinnamon, but better pics in natural lighting would be helpful :)

Did you get them from the same place? They look like they could be related if so :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Your male is recessive pied, and it looks like the small amount of green he has is dark green (but that could just be how it looks on my computer screen). :p Your female looks like a grey green opaline. Do you have any idea if your male is split for opaline or if your female is split for recessive pied? Or if either of them is split for white base?

If neither of them are split for white base, the results for the chicks will be:
25% will be dark grey green split for r. pied
25% will be dark green split for r. pied
25% will be grey green split for r. pied
25% will be lime green split for r. pied
All the males will be split for opaline.

If the female is split for white base, the results for the chicks will be:
12.50% will be dark grey green split for r. pied
12.50% will be dark green split for r. pied
12.50% will be grey green split for r. pied
12.50% will be lime green split for r. pied
12.50% will be dark grey green split for r. pied and white base
12.50% will be dark green split for r. pied and white base
12.50% will be grey green split for r. pied and white base
12.50% will be lime green split for r. pied and white base
All the males will still be split for opaline.

If the male is split for white base, the results will be the same as if the female were split for white base.

If both parents are split for white base, the results for the chicks will be:
6.25% will be dark grey green
6.25% will be dark green
12.50% will be dark grey green split for white base
12.50% will be dark green split for white base
6.25% will be grey green
6.25% will be lime green
12.50% will be grey green split for white base
12.50% will be lime green split for white base
6.25% will be grey cobalt
6.25% will be cobalt
6.25% will be grey
6.25% will be sky blue
They are all split for recessive pied. All the males are also split for opaline.

I hope I helped! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks people
I dunno if my budgies are split or not
My male doesnt have an iris
His cere is purple
My female has a barely seen iris
She has a white cere
Are they in breeding condition or not?
Im not sure if they are related.. I bought them from a store who had those pair in a cage alone intended to breed them so i bought them
If they are related can they be like that.. Completely different colors if body.. And cere.
What would happen if they are related
Im worried now
So is my male ressesive?
Check again those clear pics and tell me please

http://imageshack.us/mobile/gallery.php

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,156 Posts
You need to put IMG in between the bracket thingys for your pics...

·
4,156 Posts
P.S. they are super cute and lovely birds!

·
4,156 Posts
Just as shown below - remove the spaces though. Or ..... in the "quick reply' box, you should see a thing that looks like a stamped envelope, which is " insert image". You can click on that and just copy/paste in the link and it will put the IMG and bracket thingys in for you.

[ IMG ]http://imageshack.us/mobile/gallery.php[ /IMG ]

·
4,156 Posts
Except of course... your link would be ...

[ IMG ]http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/822/budgiez.jpg[ /IMG ] with NO SPACES between IMG and the square bracket thingys :D

·
19,551 Posts
Thanks people
I dunno if my budgies are split or not
My male doesnt have an iris
His cere is purple
My female has a barely seen iris
She has a white cere
Are they in breeding condition or not?
Im not sure if they are related.. I bought them from a store who had those pair in a cage alone intended to breed them so i bought them
If they are related can they be like that.. Completely different colors if body.. And cere.
What would happen if they are related
Im worried now
So is my male ressesive?
Check again those clear pics and tell me please

http://imageshack.us/mobile/gallery.php
He looks like a combination recessive/dominant, or possibly a heavily marked or df dominant pied split to recessive pie to me if he has no iris rings. Many birds that are split to recessive pied do not have iris rings, and with theses birds sometimes only breeding will let you know for sure what they truly are if they are another pied mutation. Can we get a pic of him from behind?

If you can post some pics of your hen in natural lighting we can tell you her full mutation, from the pic you posted she appear to have the color of a cinnamon rather than grey green, and she is definatly not a normal olive nor opaline :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looking at the other three pictures, she doesn't appear to be opaline... But her stripes are very light, yet they don't seem to be quite brown, so I don't know if I'd say she's a cinnamon quite yet. Maybe a cinnamon with a grey factor since her body colour is too dark to be just a cinnamon and her largest tail feather is black instead of blue.
It just occurred to me now that I forgot about double factor dominant pieds! They don't have normal cere colours and being split for recessive pied would explain the lack of iris rings. It really seems like you'll just have to breed them and see what the chicks look like to determine the parental mutations. If all the chicks are dominant pied, you know it was double factor dominant pied, if some of them are dominant pied, it could have been single factor dominant pied, if none of them look at all like the father, it was probably recessive pied. But even then it's still tough to tell since he could be a combination pied and you could get some dominant pieds from him but no recessive pieds.
Good luck! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the breeding was successful hopefully
Ill gladly update photos for the chicks
Till now theyre just greatly bonded
I saw them one mating but it wasnt successful
Btw guys one more question
My female as you saw the pics has a slightly white cere
Do u think for her mutation its normal?
Or she isn't in the breeding condition?

·
19,551 Posts
Looking at the other three pictures, she doesn't appear to be opaline... But her stripes are very light, yet they don't seem to be quite brown, so I don't know if I'd say she's a cinnamon quite yet. Maybe a cinnamon with a grey factor since her body colour is too dark to be just a cinnamon and her largest tail feather is black instead of blue.
It is important to go off more than just wing color :) Cinnamons can range from nearly black, to so light of a grey that they would appear to be a greywing according to the color. Look at her cheek patches... Do you see how much more they are diluted than the male? He has non diluted geek patches, where as hers appear to be the light lavender of a cinnamon :)

Also as far as body color is concerned with Cinnamons, their body color can vary greatly :) Cinnamon is a diluting mutation which effects whatever else the bird happens to carr. A cinnamon light green will be much lighter than a cinnamon dark green or cinnamon olive, and a cinnamon olive with a violet factor would be very dark in body color :)

I can only see the first picture, the rest of the links only take me to a login screen for the whole album so I am unable to see the true color of her tail, but an dark green or olive cinnamon would have a very dark tail that would look almost black in depth of color in poor lighting :) Also a cinnamon grey green would have silvery blue cheek patches, rather than the lavender she appears to have in the pics. Here are some examples of what I mean, compare the grey green cinnamon on the left with the violet opaline connamon on the far right: http://cutelittlebirdiesaviary.weebly.com/help-to-identify-cinnamon-budgies.htmlClear photos in natural lighting would make it possible to confirm their true shade :)

MiissL, I do not see any opaline whatsoever, how can you tell, please do share!
You can not see it because it is not there, she is not an opaline :)

If the breeding was successful hopefully
Ill gladly update photos for the chicks
Till now theyre just greatly bonded
I saw them one mating but it wasnt successful
Btw guys one more question
My female as you saw the pics has a slightly white cere
Do u think for her mutation its normal?
Or she isn't in the breeding condition?
Yes, she is not in breeding condition. All females have the same white/blue color cere when they are not in breeding condition, it is only the males that have changes in the cere depending in the mutation :)

You mentioned that your female has very light iris rings... This ia a sign that she is still very young and not even mature enough to breed just yet :) If the male never develops iris rings it will be harder to tell his true age, but the best thing you can do for them is to hold off encouraging them to breed and give them some time to settle in and mature :) during this time you can condition them properly http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=83555 and ten they will be all ready to have a successful clutch when you do give them a nestbox! :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
MiissL, I do not see any opaline whatsoever, how can you tell, please do share!
Like I just said, after looking at the other pictures, she isn't an opaline. It just looked like she was at first glance in the poor lighting. :)

cutelilbirdies said:
It is important to go off more than just wing color. Cinnamons can range from nearly black to so light of a grey that they would appear to be a greywing according to the color. Look at her cheek patches... Do you see how much more they are diluted than the male? He has non diluted cheek patches, whereas hers appear to be the light lavender of a cinnamon.

Also as far as body color is concerned with Cinnamons, their body color can vary greatly Cinnamon is a diluting mutation which effects whatever else the bird happens to carry. A cinnamon light green will be much lighter than a cinnamon dark green or cinnamon olive, and a cinnamon olive with a violet factor would be very dark in body color.

I can only see the first picture, the rest of the links only take me to a login screen for the whole album so I am unable to see the true color of her tail, but a dark green or olive cinnamon would have a very dark tail that would look almost black in depth of color in poor lighting. Also a cinnamon grey green would have silvery blue cheek patches, rather than the lavender she appears to have in the pics.
That's very informative and good to know! :) But I thought that cinnamon didn't affect the body colour, only the head and wings of the budgie, I thought the darkest they could get was a cinnamony tinge to the body feathers... :S I'm great with genetics but I'm still new at identifying mutations, especially combinations of mutations! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.