Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My mums Famous Sponge Cake recipe....

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  LynandIndigo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi. everyone I thought I'd share my mums sponge Cake recipe it is really yum I think it is one of the best as you have seen in my photo...Anyway hear it is...

SPONGE CAKE RECIPE.

5 large Eggs
A pinch of Salt
5 rounded tablespoons of Castor Sugar
4 rounded tablespoons Fielders Corn Flour.
1 1/2 rounded table spoons of plain flour
1 1/2 level teaspoons of baking powder.
1 teaspoon of vanilla..

METHOD...

Separate eggs and beat egg whites with the salt until stiff add yolks and beat then gradually add castor sugar continue beating until sugar is dissolved..
Remove from Mixer dribble vanilla in, lightly stir then add all dry ingredients and fold in.
bake in two rounded greased and floured sponge tins in Moderate oven for about 20 to 25 minutes...

Bring out to cool on rake... When cool you can use fresh cream in the middle and on the top and put strawberries etc on top to decorate it with...

Don't use fan forced ovens..

Always use Fielders Corn Flour for best results...

Happy cooking everyone my mums sponge cake is really yummy you should all try and make it... Let me know how you go.... Im going to Enjoy my party. It is tomorrow Saturday and there is my mums sponge cake going to be there.....

See less See more
#10 ·
Lyn you left something off the ingredients list. On the recipe you sent me it also has 1 1/2 rounded dessert spoons Plain Flour as well.

For our US members Plain Flour would be called Cake Flour but you could get away with All Purpose Flour.
Castor Sugar is Superfine Sugar.
Corn Flour is usually called Corn Starch or Cornmeal, or Maize Starch. It is white also.
Baking Powder is not just Baking Soda, it is the mix of what we call Bicarbonate of Soda with Cream of Tartar and some cornflour to stabilize. I think a good brand of it in the US is Royal Baking Powder.

I know I had to convert some of your names for products when I got some American Cook Books and the names they used were different to what we called them in Oz. So I hope my name conversions help.

#19 ·
Sounds wonderful, Lyn however I am currently following Slimming World's 'healthy eating plan' aka a diet, so I'm afraid cake is out of the question at the mo :( - but I have lost 8lbs in 4 weeks so that's good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.