Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry, I don't know much about mutations but she is very pretty and very photogenic. I assume that from the conditions you got him in, she definitely isn't hand tamed. Are you going to try and train her?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I don't know much about mutations but she is very pretty and very photogenic. I assume that from the conditions you got him in, she definitely isn't hand tamed. Are you going to try and train her?
Thank you! :)

Yes I try to tame all my budgies, at least to a certain extent. Especially hens so there is less disturbance to them when I check the nest boxes. Some respond well, other don't. Let's see. :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK; missed that - so no DEC. Maybe the only way to tell for sure is by breeding.
I think you may be right about breeding. :)

This is what I found on a website.

What is the difference between a Lutino/Ino and a Dark Eyed Clear (DEC) or a Double Factor Spangle?

These three birds can all be the same colour with the same amount of suffusion. The main difference is their eyes and the colour of the adult male's cere. There are other very subtle differences.

Lutinos (or albinos) have red eyes with an iris ring and the males cere will stay pink all his life.

Dark eyed clears have dark eyes with no iris ring. (As small babies in the nest their eyes are plum coloured). The male's cere will stay pink all it's life

Double factor spangle adults have black eyes with an iris ring and the adult male's cere is the normal blue colour.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I think you may be right about breeding. :)

This is what I found on a website.

What is the difference between a Lutino/Ino and a Dark Eyed Clear (DEC) or a Double Factor Spangle?

These three birds can all be the same colour with the same amount of suffusion. The main difference is their eyes and the colour of the adult male's cere. There are other very subtle differences.

Lutinos (or albinos) have red eyes with an iris ring and the males cere will stay pink all his life.

Dark eyed clears have dark eyes with no iris ring. (As small babies in the nest their eyes are plum coloured). The male's cere will stay pink all it's life

Double factor spangle adults have black eyes with an iris ring and the adult male's cere is the normal blue colour.

What do you think?

I've read this as well. In fact, I have it saved on my laptop. But your bird looks like a female to me (?) How do one see the difference between lutino and DFS hens?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've read this as well. In fact, I have it saved on my laptop. But your bird looks like a female to me (?) How do one see the difference between lutino and DFS hens?
Yes she is a female.

I could not find anything about the differences between a Lutino and Double Factor Spangle hen.

The only thing is eyes colors. Lutinos have red eyes with irises and Double Factor Spangles have black eyes with irises.

Now the problem here is that her eyes are not totally red and not black as well. Just like very dark maroon color. :S

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your bird looks like a lutino to me and I've bred a lot of them.

Some lutinos have very dark red eyes and it can be difficult to see that they are red

A double factor spangle would be unlikely to have pink feet and an orange beak unless it had another mutation as well

The irises show that it is not a dark eyed clear or a double factor spangle that is masking recessive pied

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your bird looks like a lutino to me and I've bred a lot of them.

Some lutinos have very dark red eyes and it can be difficult to see that they are red

A double factor spangle would be unlikely to have pink feet and an orange beak unless it had another mutation as well

The irises show that it is not a dark eyed clear or a double factor spangle that is masking recessive pied
Thanks Nev! :)

·
Administrator
55,527 Posts
I've been holding off on posting on this thread since I know nothing about mutations! :laughing2: But now that it appears you all have decided she is a lutino, I just want to say that I think she is absolutely one of the most stunningly beautiful budgies I've ever seen.

To say nothing of one of the luckiest since you rescued her from a horrible life and gave her a safe and loving home!! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.