Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hallo Elsabe,

This the 2nd bird U got...looks like a nice ****!

I'll go for a Yellow-Face type II Cobalt blue / Opaline bird....it does look just like a Light-green / Opaline bird....but the yellow wing-markings of the Yellow-based Green bird is missing...

...there also looks to be a "blue" shine to his body feathers...not so vivid green either ...as a light-green normally would have been....therefore my call of a blue bird that turned out "sea-foam green" as a result of the YF TII gene...

Nice green wing markings replaced the "white-colour" of the blue-series bird...therefore the "split Opaline" addition...if it was a Hen it would have been not split, but straight Opaline..as the sex-linked Opaline gene can't be hidden in hens...

Good to wait 4 Nev & Atv's comments...if he's not split for Opaline...the green wing markings may only be "opalesence...which is best explained by Nev& others...

Good luck with him,
jacodk

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Hallo Elsabe,

This the 2nd bird U got...looks like a nice ****!

I'll go for a Yellow-Face type II Cobalt blue / Opaline bird....it does look just like a Light-green / Opaline bird....but the yellow wing-markings of the Yellow-based Green bird is missing...

...there also looks to be a "blue" shine to his body feathers...not so vivid green either ...as a light-green normally would have been....therefore my call of a blue bird that turned out "sea-foam green" as a result of the YF TII gene...

Nice green wing markings replaced the "white-colour" of the blue-series bird...therefore the "split Opaline" addition...if it was a Hen it would have been not split, but straight Opaline..as the sex-linked Opaline gene can't be hidden in hens...

Good to wait 4 Nev & Atv's comments...if he's not split for Opaline...the green wing markings may only be "opalesence...which is best explained by Nev& others...

Good luck with him,
jacodk
he's visually Opaline - you can't tell when a budgie is Split to opaline ;)

here is how I tell a budgie is Opaline

and before I start NO OFFENSE TO THE ELDERLY PEOPLE :D

Look at the head markings on the back of the head going down the "V" see how they're "Wrinkly" Looking like Old wrinkly skin -

Compare that to a normal NON opaline, they have Thick nice smooth markings

Opaline's have thin Wrinkly markings :D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
U C Elsabe / Atv,

I still get it wrong...YIP...straight OPALINE it is, thought it was visual..of course...!
You'll get the hang of it and be nailing them on the head in no time :D

it took me a while to get any right except the obvious like normal blue or normal green LOL

oddly enough I flunked science class(well barely passed with a very LOW D it was hanging by a thread almost a F LOL) but I get the genetics of the birds like its as easy as saying my name- i still don't get how I got the understanding and can explain it so easily IF I couldn't even pass Basic Science little lone anything tougher lol

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you JacoRBow and atvchick95! I am new to this, but only see the "sea-foam" colour. Some other advice? Chosing a hen?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The choice of hen would be based on what you want the chicks to look like, and of course health, conformation, and temperament. If you don't intend to breed, another male would make just as good a companion for him.
Wet Blanket Alert!
As always- remember that if you breed you should be prepared to keep the chicks indefinitely, as many as 8 per pair per clutch, if you don't have space or time for so many for as long as it takes to find good homes please reconsider breeding.

Sorry for the interuption, now back to ogling the beautiful new budgie!:D

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
If you want any chance -- a 50% chance -- at getting any green babies, you must adopt a green series hen. Two blue series birds cannot produce a green series baby because neither parent carries any green genes. Since green is dominant to blue, any visual blue budgie -- such as your **** bird -- cannot be split to green. However, a visual green budgie can be split to blue. Therefore, if a chick inherits one green gene from one parent and one blue gene from the other, the chick will be visual green split to blue. If you adopt a visual green hen that's not split to blue, then 100% of the chicks will be visual green split to blue. But if you adopt a visual green hen that's split to blue, then 50% of the chicks will be green series split to blue and 50% will be YF2 blue series. You won't know whether the green hen is split to blue unless the breeder tells you; you'll just have to wait for the chicks.

Here are the colors and mutations you can choose from: http://www.***************/colorsguide.html.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Susan,
Thank you for the advice, i am going to read this over and over to get it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.