Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I got 6 new budgies a few have pretty obvious mutations but a couple are confusing me. here are the pics

a male sky blue texas clearbody?

definitely male -wing markings are normal, color looks more bluish in person and his chest feathers are like that all the time, I'm thinking mauve yf2 with a feather distubance?

this is the really confusing one- the body color is a slightly grayish yellow -the wings are a medium brown kind of dark for cinnamon, and its hard to say if the color fades from top to bottom like the blue- I have no idea except either another clearbody with a dark factor or less likely a fallow. this is also the only one with a band - ABS 6R 90 160 (yellow) all I can tell is ABS= american budgerigar society and yellow means he was hatched in 2006

pretty sure this hen is opaline spangle light green

the other 2 are a grey/green and olive

Reactions: Leel

·
Budgie
397 Posts
She said she picked them up from a not-too-great breeder in the other thread. Or something like that. I bet they'll shape up soon, poor little duck-tail!

I can't help you much on the mutations, my knowledge is pretty limited.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one of the reasons I got 6 more instead of 2- I didn't want them to go back with the "breeder" that brought them for me to choose from. he wasn't knowedgable about the birds, and the condition of the birds and the cage triggered an attack of maternal instinct:mad:- so I bought them all. They appear healthy but all have frayed tails, i'm guessing from too small a cage. As for "ruffles"- I suspect a more aggressive bird was involved I've never heard of budgies ganging up on one another, and the seller supposedly has a lot of birds of different species:(.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my 12 yr old daughter has her heart set on naming him "Alois", after some anime character I've never seen:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Can't help sorry, they're all very nice birds, love the clear body :)
Karma for taking in the extras!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i agree with the skyblue texas clearbody and the light green spangle opaline.

i suspect you also have a light greygreen cinnamon. the colour is very light and the markings very dark but if it was fallow it would have red eyes...

the other male looks like a grey golden face to me. when he gets a tail again you will be able to see if he has a black tail or a blue one... in the photo his cheek patches look right for a grey rather than a mauve (blue rather than violet).

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
How beautiful!!! You really did luck out, and so did the birds for having you as they're owner (who will actually take care of the now!!!) Congrats :D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
are you using some setting on your camera that changes the colors of the birds? that one with the feathers all out of wack just doesn't look real LOL I've seen Bright green Budgies many times and never saw that florescent of green before
and the 2nd pic of the 1st bird looks like a black and white shot
oh and yes budgies will fight. I have several in my community cage They are an even number Plus its an even number of Males vs. females (I don't keep them in uneven numbers of any sort) and I had to go break up a fight The other day between 2 females They were attached to each other rolling around on the cage floor Fighting I opened the door That didn't stop them I put my hand beside them to go "pull" them apart that didn't stop them Me telling them to stop didn't stop them I had to Bang on the floor of the cage to get them to stop

it was like watching 2 Humans Fighting on the ground Nothing was stopping them! I don't know what got their feathers all ruffled and made them fight they've lived together before and have for over a year and never bothered each other before But they sure were hating each other that day.. They've not done it since though Which is a good thing but I would like to know what started it to begin with.

but I couldn't figure it out, they have more dishes then they need, they have more swings then they need, more perches then they need- and by "they need" I mean for the amount of birds in the cage, Rule of thumb is 2 dishes per Bird once over 2 birds in a cage, I give 3 dishes (except water they never bicker over that) per bird, along with perches and swings are all 3 per bird

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
are you using some setting on your camera that changes the colors of the birds? that one with the feathers all out of wack just doesn't look real LOL I've seen Bright green Budgies many times and never saw that florescent of green before
and the 2nd pic of the 1st bird looks like a black and white shot
I think the problem is a combination of the lighting - I use "daylight" CFL bulbs through out my apartment- and the camera. The funny thing is it only seems to do the florescent thing is with the yellowfaces. It either looks like paint or it disappears. I haven't posted pics of my hen Yufie because I can't seem to get a picture where she's yellow instead of white- she's dilute skyblue yf2 sf violet- but she looks all pale blue in pictures. I'd try natural light but by the time all our afternoon chores are done so is the sun.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts

I think the problem is a combination of the lighting - I use "daylight" CFL bulbs through out my apartment- and the camera. The funny thing is it only seems to do the florescent thing is with the yellowfaces. It either looks like paint or it disappears. I haven't posted pics of my hen Yufie because I can't seem to get a picture where she's yellow instead of white- she's dilute skyblue yf2 sf violet- but she looks all pale blue in pictures. I'd try natural light but by the time all our afternoon chores are done so is the sun.
Ahh okay just wondered they looked an odd color to me.. I personally hate those day light CFL bulbs they give me headaches we have a few left in our light sockets and in the rooms they're in come dark time I can't see crap my sons room is one of them he'll ask me what a word is or something from what he's reading and I have to take his book out to the hall and turn the light on and use a normal 65 watt light bulb to read it.

but on your lighter birds (which i have the same problem) use a piece of a paper in front of your flash - it helps a lot - takes some working with to get it just right and don't put it too close It'll make your flash smoke :rolleyes: I WOULD NOT KNOW THAT OR NOTHING LOL but Thats what i have to end up doing with my light colored birds, Or my Dominant pied that are more white than color I've been doing it for 3 yrs and I still don't always get it right (i've seen others who take Perfect pics doing it looks like they used Natural light ) but I at least get a decent pic of the bird and you can tell what it looks like instead of looking like a big white ball of light lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found the problem- my camera has an auto white balance feature that trys to balance the color in the picture- I was photographing some stuff for my husband and we couldn't get the colors right. I played with the menu functions and I think its fixed- unfortunately it's too late for budgie pics tonight, but I expect to be snowbound tomorrow anway:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.