Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Budgie Adorer
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok so i have got two new budgies (a hen and a ****). I bought them just over a month ago and gave them to a friend to look after during their 'isolation stage'. But now thats over and they were healthy enough to meet bigbird and littlebird. Bigbird just loves the two newbies but i dont think littlebird is so keen on them, shes a bit aggressive and is protecting Bigbird. Shes going through a moult so i think thats why she is a grumpy poo.
Would love to know their mutations if any one could help me.
Havnt really decided on names yet, although i was kind of thinking about Bow and Peep, any sugestions would be great :) anyways here they are

heres the ****.

the **** again

and the hen, sorry this one is'nt so clear, she wouldnt keep still!

and one more thing. What sort of chicks would you get from the new **** x Littlebird. (picture below)

Littlebird.

Thanks for all who help! My two newbies are so cute, when i first bought them home the other day i could'nt stop watchn my flock play together :)

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
no.1 dominant pied grey green
no.2 olive green opaline
no.3 sky blue opaline spangle female:)

you would get greens as green is more dominant.

normal green
green dominant pied
green spangle
green dominant pied spangle

they will all be split for blue

you wont get opaline unless the **** is split for it..but all females will be split for it
(will all chicks be split or just the females Nev? Dean)

some suprises will pop up:)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your new **** bird is a dominant pied grey green

The new female is an opaline olive

Littlebird is an opaline spangle sky blue

If the new **** is not split for blue, mated to Littlebird you would get:
12.5% Green dominant pied
12.5% Grey green dominant pied
12.5% Green spangle
12.5% Grey green spangle
12.5% Green normal
12.5% Grey green normal
12.5% Green dominant pied spangle
12.5% Grey green dominant pied spangle

If the new **** is split for blue you’d get:
6.25% Green dominant pied
6.25% Grey green dominant pied
6.25% Blue dominant pied
6.25% Grey dominant pied
6.25% Green spangle
6.25% Grey green spangle
6.25% Blue spangle
6.25% Grey spangle
6.25% Green normal
6.25% Grey green normal
6.25% Blue normal
6.25% Grey normal
6.25% Green dominant pied spangle
6.25% Grey green dominant pied spangle
6.25% Blue dominant pied spangle
6.25% Grey dominant pied spangle

Opaline would only appear among the chicks if the male is split for opaline, but all the male chicks would be split for opaline. The female chicks would not have any opaline genes

If your male was split for both opaline & blue you’d get:
3.125% Green dominant pied
3.125% Grey green dominant pied
3.125% Green opaline dominant pied
3.125% Grey green opaline dominant pied
3.125% Blue dominant pied
3.125% Grey dominant pied
3.125% Blue opaline dominant pied
3.125% Grey opaline dominant pied
3.125% Green spangle
3.125% Grey green spangle
3.125% Green opaline spangle
3.125% Grey green opaline spangle
3.125% Blue spangle
3.125% Grey spangle
3.125% Blue opaline spangle
3.125% Grey opaline spangle
3.125% Green normal
3.125% Grey green normal
3.125% Green opaline
3.125% Grey green opaline
3.125% Blue normal
3.125% Grey normal
3.125% Blue opaline
3.125% Grey opaline
3.125% Green dominant pied spangle
3.125% Grey green dominant pied spangle
3.125% Green opaline dominant pied spangle
3.125% Grey green opaline dominant pied spangle
3.125% Blue dominant pied spangle
3.125% Grey dominant pied spangle
3.125% Blue opaline dominant pied spangle
3.125% Grey opaline dominant pied spangle

Of course it is possible that there are other hidden genes that could also appear

·
Registered
283 Posts
Your new **** bird is a dominant pied grey green

The new female is an opaline olive

Littlebird is an opaline spangle sky blue
I am trying to learn more about and identify mutations. I am having a hard time with the difference between grey green and olive green. My guess was that both of these were olive green, they look very similar in color to me. Can you tell me if there is some clue or do you just see a slight difference that you can tell is grey?

Thank you!

Vicki

·
Registered
458 Posts
Grey-greens have silver/grey cheek patches. I think olive birds have blue ones, I know it is different to grey-green though.
Grey-greens also have black tails.

·
3,676 Posts
I am trying to learn more about and identify mutations. I am having a hard time with the difference between grey green and olive green. My guess was that both of these were olive green, they look very similar in color to me. Can you tell me if there is some clue or do you just see a slight difference that you can tell is grey?
Vicki
As Jen said the difference is in the shade of the cheek patches and the colour of the tail. A grey or a grey green will have either silvery grey or blue cheek patches and a black tail. A mauve or an olive will have purple cheek patches and a dark blue tail. Sometimes these clues are not very obvious because they effected by the bird's other mutations

·
Budgie Adorer
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As Jen said the difference is in the shade of the cheek patches and the colour of the tail. A grey or a grey green will have either silvery grey or blue cheek patches and a black tail. A mauve or an olive will have purple cheek patches and a dark blue tail. Sometimes these clues are not very obvious because they effected by the bird's other mutations
well that means the female is a gray-green also because she had a jet black tail

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks Nev! I am taking notes on this stuff. I think that looking at these pictures and trying to identify is a good exercise to get better at this. Thanks for helping me.

Vicki

·
3,676 Posts
well that means the female is a gray-green also because she had a jet black tail
You're right. I had another look at her cheek patches and see that they are blue not purple like an olive would have so she is a grey green

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.