Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I just got another parakeet and its the green female and I was wondering what would they produce, and would the babies be pied even though the mom ain't. But my male is still to young to mate but my hen always bow down to him and flirt with him but he still don't know what to do yet. Will post pictures soooooooooooooooon!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
if they do breed.. they´ll give green babies... unless mom is split for blue... and babies would only be split pied also...

·
Registered
93 Posts
as huskymom said, all the chicks will be green unless the hen is split for blue. and about the pied gene; i think half of the chicks will be pied if the male is dominant pied (single factor) and the other half will be normals. if the pied is a double factor dominant, then all the chicks will be single factor dominant pied. if the pied is a recessive pied, then i think all the chicks will be split for recessive pied unless the hen is split for recessive pied.
pictures will help.
someone please correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Mom looks like a greywing green, dad is a violet cobalt dominant pied.

Chicks will all be normal greens split for blue and greywing. About 50% will be dominant pied and/or carry the violet gene. If mom is split for blue already, expect 50% greens and blues with the same chance of dominant pied and violet for each chick as mentioned before.

There is always a chance that dad is split for greywing, opaline, ino, cinnamon, lacewing or any other recessive or sex linked gene but you will only find out when they breed :D

best of luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Chicks will all be normal greens split for blue and greywing. About 50% will be dominant pied and/or carry the violet gene. If mom is split for blue already, expect 50% greens and blues with the same chance of dominant pied and violet for each chick as mentioned before.

There is always a chance that dad is split for greywing, opaline, ino, cinnamon, lacewing or any other recessive or sex linked gene but you will only find out when they breed :D

best of luck.
THANK YOU!!!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts

best of luck.
I agree, except that the pied type could be clearflight as I can't see any white feathers on the front. The breeding pattern for clearflight pied is the same as dominant pied

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.