Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benny already 2 days comes to his new home in mine. He shows the true characteristics a wild budgie should be. Not afraid of anything, be it a new environment, new seed mix, new veggies. He got down to it with ease and eat the food offered with success.

I would like to know what mutation you see in him ? The colours shown in the pictures are what you would see in person, there is no distortion where my camera goes.

Standing on the window ledge separating my dining hall and wet kitchen.

About to fly off to the open in my dining hall. This picture showed the colours under his wing.

The back view of Benny. Intense blue colour on his rump.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I haven't a clue, but he is very handsome!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Hmm Lacewing? And is that a patch of clear feathers on the head? If so a Lacewing Pied? I thought lacewing had more clear body feathers though.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
He's a very handsome young man Roland, and I think his colouring is amazing.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i would think skyblue dom pied fallow.

does he have iris rings? that would help determine which fallow variety he is as there are two main types. german fallows have an iris ring, english fallows appear to have all red eyes without an iris ring.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

Jellyblue (Susan) - Yes, Benny has lots of fun flying motionless many times looking for the best spot to land. The window ledge seemed like his safe spot most of the times.

Leel (Rachel) - I would be too biased to say he is handsome. But indeed he is what he is, handsome.

Teasha - I am of the same mind as you in thinking lacewing but due to Benny's showing more than blue than white, I have doubt so I asked the experts here. Yes, he has a clear patch on his head.

Nnnix (Nicolette) - Glad you like the blue colour on his rump. Me too.

Budgiebreeder (Bridget) - Benny's red eyes has 2 answers for me initially. I think Tonic has the answer to what I think too in his reply.

Betcherrygah (John) - Yes, the amazing colours captured my heart at 1st sight in the petshop. I went to the petshop after my lunch in the city and saw Benny but not after my office meeting late in the afternoon I decided to buy him after much thinking. Glad he was still for sale.

Tonic - Really, Benny is a fallow. I am so happy to read your reply. He is very young by the sound of his baby chirpings which is unlike adult budgie's chirps. His eyes are red with no visible iris rings. Probably when his 1st moult is over, I will be able to tell. His age is around 2-4 months I think.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I think he is a dominant pied fallow as Toni said.

Sometimes a lacewing can have as much colour a this bird but generally lacewings have a lot less body colour. Some of my lacewings have a splash of colour on the rump

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think he is a dominant pied fallow as Toni said.

Sometimes a lacewing can have as much colour a this bird but generally lacewings have a lot less body colour. Some of my lacewings have a splash of colour on the rump
Thanks, Nev. Do lacewings mask any pied mutations and not show it ? The wings markings are black and brown which tend to confuse more between lacewings and fallows.

I believe there is some breeder in Malaysia trying very hard to introduce fallows in my country. There have a surge in fallow mutations in many petshops as evidenced by many pictures of fallows shown by fellow forummers in Kuala Lumpur.

·
Member of the Month July 2011
3,661 Posts
Indeed, Roland, you've acquired a real beauty there, with an eye-catching combination of colours. Lucky you!;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Indeed, Roland, you've acquired a real beauty there, with an eye-catching combination of colours. Lucky you!;)
Thank you, Cheeno. Yeah, 4 hours of Benny on sale after I last seen him during lunch time is a little luck on my side. I agree his combination of colours are indeed eye-catching as you said it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lacewings have Cinnamon Markings including Cinnamon spots and Cinnamon Tail Feathers.

I too would go with Fallow Dom Pied :)
Thanks for your reply, Amelia. 8 months down the road, I should be planning an expansion of fallows to see a few extra red eyes in normal budgies. It is a great find totally unexpected during my visit to that petshop.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
i would think skyblue dom pied fallow.

does he have iris rings? that would help determine which fallow variety he is as there are two main types. german fallows have an iris ring, english fallows appear to have all red eyes without an iris ring.
Agreed :D My first thought was fallow with the red eyes.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
fallow is recessive i am afraid, so you either need a fallow or split fallow mate, or a two year breeding plan.:D

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
It is recessive, (as mentioned) so you can either purchase a split fallow/visual OR

Breed your bird then keep a /daughter, then put her back to original **** to get a visual, then outcross to a normal bird and get all splits, breed back to the original pair etc etc. Not a suggested way though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.