Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so upset. Originally, my sister adopted Stormy with intentions of him being her bird, but she's been on a trip in Ireland for a month, and she won't be home for another few weeks. I Skyped with her today and she told me she's planning on bringing Stormy with her to college in the fall. :crying2:
I'm so upset because my sister hasn't bonded with Stormy at all; we only had him for a couple of weeks before she left for so long. I've been taking care of him and he's really bonded with me. I don't want to only see him every few weeks, and I'm worried he won't be happy because they're not very close.
What do I do? :( Any tips to convince her to let him stay with me? I'll miss my little boy so much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If she isn't bonded with the bird, would she be willing to get a new budgie if you buy your own cage, etc. for Stormy? That way, she can take all the stuff she has for Stormy and only have to buy a new budgie. I have Harper's old cage that you're welcome to if you're willing to pay the shipping. Please let me know if you need it.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
Hello, you must be feeling very anxious. It is natural for you to feel how you do. Perhaps you can talk to her when she arrives home and show her how you have grown close to Snowy.
You can suggest maybe she purchases another budgie to take with her, try to be calm and not upset around Snowy as he will pick up on your feelings.

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
It might be worth letting your sister know that a budgie bonds to those it's around. Because Stormy has bonded to you, that won't translate straight across to her, especially when moved into a completely new enviroment.
Also remind her that while she's been away you have been the one taking care and bonding with Stormy. Taking that away would be very upsetting for Stormy.

Ask her to consider how much time she will have to spend with Stormy and perhaps you can suggest you keep Stormy during her time at college and go halves or buy her a new budgie to take to college who will be used to the new routine she will have in place.
Completely disrupting Stormy's life is not going to be good for your little bird. However, as it's your sisters bird and if this was her plan the whole time, it might be hard to change her mind.

If your sister is adamant that she takes Stormy you should ask her to consider if she will be leaving him for long periods of time again and if she thinks it's acceptable to keep moving him about.

Do stay very calm and be clear about what you think and feel. if it's easier for you, try writing her a letter if you find it hard to speak about how upsetting you find the potential loss of Stormy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Harper's old cage that you're welcome to if you're willing to pay the shipping. Please let me know if you need it.
Thank you, this is very kind of you. I'll be in touch if we end up needing the cage :)
You can suggest maybe she purchases another budgie to take with her
This is a good idea, I'll bring it up, thank you
Also remind her that while she's been away you have been the one taking care and bonding with Stormy. Taking that away would be very upsetting for Stormy.

Ask her to consider how much time she will have to spend with Stormy and perhaps you can suggest you keep Stormy during her time at college and go halves or buy her a new budgie to take to college who will be used to the new routine she will have in place.
Completely disrupting Stormy's life is not going to be good for your little bird.
Yes, I am very concerned about Stormy's wellbeing. Not only will I miss my boy, but I'm afraid he'll miss me too! We really are so close :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you live at home? Who paid for Stormy? Who's paid for all his expenses/cage/etc so far?
Both my sister and I live at home with our parents. My sister purchased Stormy and his cage/toys. Not long after adding him to our family, my sister left for Ireland and has had little to no bonding time with Stormy. He has completely bonded to me as he spends every waking hour with me (I'm a student on summer break). I don't want her to take him to college, even though he technically is her bird, because we've bonded so closely. I'm worried it won't be good for his health.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn't bother your sister with this until she gets back. It'll decrease the chances that she'll be annoyed at the request. Also, if you get your own cage and food, she can't complain about the money she spent, escpecially if you can find a replacement budgie for her. Good luck with the sister talk. I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I wouldn't bother your sister with this until she gets back. It'll decrease the chances that she'll be annoyed at the request. Also, if you get your own cage and food, she can't complain about the money she spent, escpecially if you can find a replacement budgie for her. Good luck with the sister talk. I hope everything works out for you.
I agree; get a new cage and everything for Stormy and set money aside to buy a new budgie for your sister. Maybe get your avian vet to also write a letter or something to your sister saying it would be very bad for Stormy's mental and physical health to separate him from you and it would be better for Stormy for your sister to get a new budgie.

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
I don't think I would buy a new cage for Stormy.

Despite wanting to keep him and it really being for his benefit to stay with you, it is still her bird. I would save the money for a cage, accessories and a new bird and offer to 'buy her out' when she gets back and she can use the money to get a new pet bird herself or spend it on something else.
You can always show your sister the posts on here that relate to budgie bonds and how they won't transfer easily from one to another.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.