Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how old my 3 budgies are? The pet shop owner said they are roughly like 3-4 months old. By the way I have had them for a few weeks. This is not a recent photo of them.

·
Super Moderator
18,249 Posts
Especially since this is an old photo, they're definitely not 3-4 months. All the birds in the photo are adults. Once they reach adulthood, it's nearly impossible to tell their age by sight, so any answer would be pure speculation! They are all definitely older than 8-9 months of age and are most likely older than that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Especially since this is an old photo, they're definitely not 3-4 months. All the birds in the photo are adults. Once they reach adulthood, it's nearly impossible to tell their age by sight, so any answer would be pure speculation! They are all definitely older than 8-9 months of age and are most likely older than that.
Are you sure about that? I was told by the pet shop owner that these are 3-4 months old. Also that photo isn’t that old. I took that picture the first day I got them.

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
I can confirm for you that StarlingWings is correct. Neither of these birds are young - all three are adults.
The pet shop owner gave you incorrect information with regard to their age.

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Are you certain the lutino is a female?
Please post a picture of the lutino from the front so we can view the cere.

Housing two males and one female together can become a problem.

The males may end up becoming aggressive when the female comes into condition.

Additionally, if you have mixed genders, you need to be doing everything necessary to prevent breeding.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old

Tips For Discouraging Breeding

Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies

Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
That isn't a good enough picture to enable us to see the cere of the yellow budgie.
Please try to get a full frontal shot of the cere taken in natural light with no flash and no direct sunlight.

·
Super Moderator
18,249 Posts
He's a beautiful male for sure :D

What a handsome boy! It's great that you have two males since now you don't have to worry about accidental breeding!

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
I agree that this budgie is a male.
What made you so sure he was female?
If it was because they told you that at the pet store, we already know they were not honest about the three birds’ ages when you got them.
What are the three Budgies’ names?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh no! All this time I thought she was a female!!! Are you sure?

Oh no! I thought I had 1 female and 2 males. I was thinking the blue ones are boys and the yellow a girl😑

I named the girl Belle😬😐

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Belle is not a girl, HE is definitely a male. You can always rename HIM.

Why did you want a female?

Having three males is MUCH better.
With all the budgies the same gender, you won't have to be concerned about discouraging breeding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I liked the idea of it. So all 3 of them are males? Are you 100% sure? Also how do you know the yellow one is a boy?

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Yes, we are 100% sure.
The yellow is a boy.
Asking repeatedly isn't going to change that. LOL

Why did you like the idea of having a female?
Did the pet store tell you he was female?
Do you understand that having two budgies of one gender and one of another causes lots of problems?

You are much better off having three males.

Gender is determined by the color of the budgie's cere.

What are the other two budgies' names?

·
Super Moderator
18,249 Posts
Since they're all adults, it's impossible to adequately place their age! The one on the left doesn't look any younger than any of the others because all three boys are adults 😅

Unfortunately many pet store employees or even people who sell birds are not knowledgeable on how to determine gender! It's clear the yellow one is a boy due to the color of the cere, which is a clear violet color with no hint of white.

Another name idea is to call him "Bello", which means "handsome/beautiful" in Italian and Spanish! That way he doesn't have to get used to a totally new name. I like FaeryBee's idea of "Beau" as well! Of course, if you just spell his name differently, like "Bell", he could be named after a bright golden bell :D

They're all very handsome!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts