Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These aren't the greatest pictures, I'll take more tomorrow in natural light after he's settled in. I'm not too good with this but taking a guess... yellow face type (2?) mauve (the flash makes the blue look lighter than it is) recessive pied, and is he spangle? How wrong was I? :laughing2: This stuff's confusing.

Also, can you take any guesses as to age with these pictures? I won't ask about gender til tomorrow's pictures, since flash was used in these. The flash makes it look like he has some white around the nostrils, but I don't see any, I just see the cere being a solid color. I'll update tomorrow with new pics. I know I should've waited til tomorrow's pics to ask about mutation. But but but... I'm impatient! :laughing1: And curious.

Edit: Here's the new pics.
I busted out my new camera for the first time today. :D It's a monster, so I'm surprised that he just sat there and let me snap pictures through his food dish door. These pictures were taken without flash, and show an accurate representation of his cere and the white/yellow/blue colors. The markings show blacker than they look to me here, the original photos look more accurate for those. Hopefully they'll help. :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Can't help with mutation or gender...but he/she is beautiful!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Type 2 yellow face opaline cinnamon pied. As the flight feathers are missing it is hard to be sure if the pied type is dominant or recessive but I think it's recessive. The body color looks like cobalt that has been softened by the cinnamon mutation.

Probably male

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all! :D

Type 2 yellow face opaline cinnamon pied. As the flight feathers are missing it is hard to be sure if the pied type is dominant or recessive but I think it's recessive. The body color looks like cobalt that has been softened by the cinnamon mutation.

Probably male
Oh cool, thanks! Now time for my dumb questions. :eek: Gotta learn somehow!

Is he spangle? I only ask because I notice the wing markings are white spot with thin dark border, rather than dark spot with thin white border, and I thought that was spangle - reversed wing marking colors.

If he were dominant pied, wouldn't he have iris rings? And his cere would be a different color (blue rather than the pinky-purple)? Or could that be because he's young? I can't really see much in terms of baby bars because it's all so light colored. What color will the flight feathers be if he's recessive pied, compared to dominant pied?

How do you know he's opaline? I thought opaline had reversed colors on the head, but the few markings on the head that this guy has don't appear to me to be reversed? Also no markings/body color coming through on the shoulders/upper back, but with recessive pied there'd be no markings there anyway. A whiter head, which is white on white here so we wouldn't see it. :eek: I'm just not seeing where the opaline is.

The sun comes up in an hour or two, don't know if I'll still be awake then though. :p I'll post new pics when I wake up to help. I'm curious to know if he's cobalt and the cinnamon makes him darker, or if he's mauve. I feel like the flash is lightening it a lot. I'm also really curious to know if I have a male or female, but it's hard to tell with the flash bouncing off the nostrils like that. I think he's a male, but I'm still learning at this. I also look forward to his flight feathers growing back in. :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I busted out my new camera for the first time today. :D It's a monster, so I'm surprised that he just sat there and let me snap pictures through his food dish door. These pictures were taken without flash, and show an accurate representation of his cere and the white/yellow/blue colors. The markings show blacker than they look to me here, the original photos look more accurate for those. Hopefully they'll help. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.