Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a question. I have this budgie, he's a male and about 4 months old I think (he still has the baby bars)
But his nose and beak look concerning to me, and I'm wondering if he has mytes. I just got him a few days ago, from a petshop. He's eating a lot, probably more than he should. He's also very quiet and calm(idk if this is concerning or not)

I'll attach a photo down below, could you tell me if these are parasites?
Bird Eye Vertebrate Parrot Organism

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
Yes, he does have scaly face mites, do you have an avian vet, this needs to be treated right away as it will only get worse. The best treatment for this is a drug called Ivermectin.

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
As Cody indicated, your budgie definitely needs to be treated for scaly mites.
Common Avian Parasites

Do not use a mite spray on him or try "at home" remedies.

The best treatments are the "spot-on" treatments of ivermectin or "scatt for birds".

The Avian Vet can provide the proper medication for you.

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

·
Super Moderator
18,902 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

I agree with the above, he definitely has mites, and it is already quite advanced. Please get him into an avian vet right away!

You've also been given great resources by FaeryBee. Please be sure to read through everything to ensure you're up to date on the best of budgie care practices! If you have any questions after doing so, feel free to ask as we'd love to help.

Let us know once he has seen the vet!

Cheers 👋

1 - 4 of 4 Posts